Author Topic: Carolyn's Training Log (TraceuseDS)  (Read 95067 times)

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
Re: Carolyn's Training Log (TraceuseDS)
« Reply #240 on: April 03, 2009, 01:15:34 PM »
I wasn't at the time. Am now, though! :)

I pretty much lived on Ramen, pizza, bread, rice, & milk through most of college. Oh, and Spaghetti-O's. :P No doubt I was deficient in a lot of things...which is probably the reason I used to get sick all the time. I'm hoping that eating better for the last year or so - oh, and actually getting up off my butt and moving - will have helped me out enough that I can avoid another recurrence!
Just take the next step.A day without a challenge is a wasted day.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 04, 2009, 08:17:45 AM »
April 4, 2009:
Sleep: ~8 hours. On a Friday!

I'm feeling signifigantly less sick, but still far from 100%. Sometimes, in that stage, getting up and doing something actually helps me get better faster, so I decided to do a watered-down version of my workout today. The idea wasn't so much to challenge myself and encourage muscle growth as to just "wake up" my body somewhat.

• Handstand stuff: Weak. I was thinking about doing a couple mini-HSPUs or something, but about all I could handle was walking up the wall, holding for a count of 10, and walking back down.
  • pseudo-K2Es: 2x4. Didn't really curl much; more like a tuck with a little leaning back.
  • Deadlift: 3x5, 45#

Feels about right. Got blood moving, but didn't cause too much respritory distress. We'll see. ::fingers crossed::

Random note: Ladies locker rooms at fitness centers smell *really* BAD. Not even a whiff of BO, but there are just too many competing (strong!) perfumes. Yuck.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 05, 2009, 05:22:24 PM »
April 5, 2009:
Sleep: 10 hours, + 2.5 hour nap. For some reason (hopefully not the activity yesterday, but I suspect that may be the culprit) I've been really really tired all day. Still coughing. Stupid flu virus. >:(

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 07, 2009, 09:25:22 AM »
April 6, 2009:
Sleep: ~7 hours. Lungs finally seem to be close to functioning properly - feels like the fluid in the left one is finally gone. Still coughing, but at least now I can sing again. Random extra rest day, just because.

I've been doing some research while I've been stuck inside, and I found some very interesting information. I seem to have relapsed a bit on my knee overuse injury from this winter: I've been feeling some achiness below and to the outside of my patella on my right knee for the past few weeks. My theories regarding this relapse:

1) One obvious cause would be the sudden transition from wearing all flat shoes all the time to wearing high heels 5 days a week at my new job. This obviously causes ankles, knees, hips, and back to all function in ways they weren't designed for, and I noticed the pain reappearing soon after I started doing this. I've corrected this problem as much as possible by replacing heels with flat dress shoes (as if I needed or wanted more shoes :P).

2) The other cause is probably related to scar tissue in my right ankle, which restricts my ROM in the ankle. As a result, my right knee has to compensate for the lack of bending in my ankle. So the knee bends more and at a slightly different angle than it should. This might be what caused the original overuse injury in the first place, way back in December/January. Not sure how to fix this one. I've been working on ankle flexibility as much as possible (stretching, balance work, massage when I think of it), and I've actually been experiencing occasional sharp pain in the muscles/connective tissue/whatever surrounding the scar tissue, which suggests...something is happening; I don't know whether this is good or bad.

3) This article, which I found very interesting, suggests some other possible causes for knee pain. I definitely haven't torn my ACL, but some of the same ideas involving increased stress on the joint might still apply. I may incorporate some of their ideas into my training, but I don't plan on endorsing their whole prescribed regimen. Balancing quad/hamstring strength seems like yet another good reason for women to squat and deadlift, though!

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 07, 2009, 03:59:22 PM »
April 7, 2009:
Sleep:7+ hours. I actually thought about restarting training today! I feel like a person again! (Even though I'm still coughing and get tired too fast.) If orchestra goes well tonight, I think I'll start again tomorrow. :D

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 08, 2009, 02:53:28 PM »
April 8, 2009:
Sleep: 6+ hours. Whoops! Went back to the gym today...mixed results.

• Planche stuff: Assisted tuck planches, 3x5. Not good. Back to just lifting my toes again.
  • Pullups:
    1x5, 100# assist
    1x4(+fail), 90# assist
    1x5, 100# assist (just barely made that last one...dizzy/lightheaded for a minute or two after)
  • Squats:
    1x5, 45#
    3x5, 65# Decided to stick with this today. Probably shouldn't have tried that last set; got stuck at the bottom every time in that one.

:-\

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 09, 2009, 06:37:56 AM »
April 9, 2009:
Sleep: ~8 hours. Rest day.

Scratchy throat started coming back a bit last night, so I made it an early night, hoping to nip it in the bud. No dice. It's back today. Not sure what else I can do at this point...since when does the flu last 2 weeks??

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 10, 2009, 03:16:53 PM »
April 10, 2009:
Sleep: ~7ish... Almost better. I'd like my voice back, though, please! And the coughing can go, too. k-thx-bai.

• Handstand stuff: Walkups, stomach to wall, and one itty-bitty HSPU attempt. Much better than Saturday, but still not back in the groove.
  • K2Es: 3x5. Good! Actually leaned back pretty far on all but the last set. Tried to do it there too, as much as possible, just wasn't quite as awesome (because I was getting tired). It really helps to imagine myself rotating around my center of gravity, rather than lifting my center of gravity.
  • Deadlifts:
    1x5, 45#
    3x5, 65# Knees wobbled a bit. Meh. :-\ Keep the weight low til i can fix it?

Ate before going to the gym, and that really seems to have solved some problems. That and beginning to recover from the whole sick-for-two-weeks thing. Lil DOMS from Wednesday, believe it or not, but working today helped.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 11, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
April 11, 2009:
Sleep: 4 hours, +3 hour nap. Rest day.

And I don't feel like crap the day after working out! YESSSSS!~!!!!! ;D

Offline Spencer B

• the Romantic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ...*BANG*...
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 12, 2009, 10:54:44 AM »
April 8, 2009:
Sleep: 6+ hours. Whoops! Went back to the gym today...mixed results.

• Planche stuff: Assisted tuck planches, 3x5. Not good. Back to just lifting my toes again.
  • Pullups:
    1x5, 100# assist
    1x4(+fail), 90# assist
    1x5, 100# assist (just barely made that last one...dizzy/lightheaded for a minute or two after)
  • Squats:
    1x5, 45#
    3x5, 65# Decided to stick with this today. Probably shouldn't have tried that last set; got stuck at the bottom every time in that one.

:-\

I know what you mean, but the explanation is simple. What it is, you see, is that extra two hours of sleep you didn't get coming back to bite you in the butt in the form of considerably decreased performance. The night before a workout day, it is very important to have a restful, good nights sleep.

April 10, 2009:
Sleep: ~7ish... Almost better. I'd like my voice back, though, please! And the coughing can go, too. k-thx-bai.

• Handstand stuff: Walkups, stomach to wall, and one itty-bitty HSPU attempt. Much better than Saturday, but still not back in the groove.
  • K2Es: 3x5. Good! Actually leaned back pretty far on all but the last set. Tried to do it there too, as much as possible, just wasn't quite as awesome (because I was getting tired). It really helps to imagine myself rotating around my center of gravity, rather than lifting my center of gravity.
  • Deadlifts:
    1x5, 45#
    3x5, 65# Knees wobbled a bit. Meh. :-\ Keep the weight low til i can fix it?

Ate before going to the gym, and that really seems to have solved some problems. That and beginning to recover from the whole sick-for-two-weeks thing. Lil DOMS from Wednesday, believe it or not, but working today helped.

What do you mean by wobbled, did you lose form because of it anywhere during the sets? If so I would say to re-evaluate you deadlifts. If not I wouldn't think it to be too much of an issue and would say to keep going, but I'm not an expert on form.
www.cracked.com
www.tvtropes.org

There are times when you want to break down and rage at the heavens. Don't. Stay calm, and let the emotions flood in, accept them and then rise above them. Never dwell. Don't fear or worry. Anything worth thinking about is worth talking about. And... Good luck.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 13, 2009, 07:31:29 AM »
I know what you mean, but the explanation is simple. What it is, you see, is that extra two hours of sleep you didn't get coming back to bite you in the butt in the form of considerably decreased performance. The night before a workout day, it is very important to have a restful, good nights sleep.
Thank you, Spenser. Yeah, I know you're right. I just routinely have problems getting to sleep at a reasonable time. :-\ It's one of the *major* weak points in my training. That's why I'm tracking sleep - to keep myself accountable.

What do you mean by wobbled, did you lose form because of it anywhere during the sets? If so I would say to re-evaluate you deadlifts. If not I wouldn't think it to be too much of an issue and would say to keep going, but I'm not an expert on form.
In this case, wobbled = didn't track straight forward and straight back during the lift. Any side-to-side motion = very bad, especially since I'm having knee problems (from something else) already. I'm going to keep the weight on these very very low until I can manage to get the form to be consistently correct. Hopefully I'll have a video in a couple of weeks and you can see what I mean.

April 12, 2009:
Sleep: ~5 hours, +2 hour nap. Schedule-wise, this was supposed to be a work day, but since it was Easter I ended up spending time with family instead. Rest day.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 13, 2009, 04:24:59 PM »
April 13, 2009:
Sleep: 7+ hours.

• Pullup work:
    3x5, 90# assist. Switched grips each time (palms away, palms towards me, palms facing); it really does feel different.
  • Dips: ~10 total, between pullup sets. No reason, really, other than that I was getting bored waiting between sets of pullups. Discovered that I can do dips with considerably less assistance than pullups (ranged from 90# assist to 70# assist).
  • Planche work: Arm-assisted tuck planches. Total of 60 seconds, divided fairly equally into 2 and 3 second holds.
  • Squats:
    1x5, 45#
    3x5, 75# Better. Really concentrated on keeping my knees tracking properly (perhaps at the expense of depth). I think I could continue to progress in 10# steps if I really wanted to, but I feel a lot more comfortable with 5# steps for the time being. I like the added feeling of control it gives me, and my joints feel a lot more stable. I might go slower, but I feel a lot safer. The trick is going to be finding the 2.5# weights...they always seem to be missing.

Note: I like the way my arms respond when I put things in this order.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 15, 2009, 02:58:06 PM »
April 14, 2009:
Sleep: ~8 hours. Rest day, although I did a little playing around with pullups.

April 15, 2009:
Sleep: <7 hours.

• pseudo-K2Es: 3x5. OK to start, but not so hot by the end. Still not high enough.
  • DL:
    1x5, 45#
    3x5, 75#. Need to concentrate on pushing through my heels rather than toes or midfoot.

Handstand stuff: To be done when I get home.
Did about 10 minutes of trying to step into handstands. This wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be after not working them for the last couple weeks. As a matter of fact, I held a several for about a second, and one of them for 2-3 seconds. Yay! :D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 05:27:57 PM by TraceuseDS »

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 17, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »
April 16, 2009:
Sleep: 7.5 hours. Rest day.

April 17, 2009:
Sleep: ~8 hours.

• Pullup stuff:
    2x5, 80# assist
    1x3(+fail), 80# assist. Tried using hammer grip, which made it a lot easier. Not sure whether to do 80# assist again next time, or to progress to 70# assist. Hmm. Next time, I think a warmup set might be in order; they seem to help with everything else...
  • Planches: 60 seconds of arm-assisted tuck planches. Longer holds this time; got to a count of 5 (though that was probably less than 5 real seconds) fairly often, and once a count of 10. Maybe try real tuck planches next time.
  • Squats:
    1x5, 45# (increase warmup weight next time - this isn't hard enough)
    1x5, 80# Last one was bad - knees bent in a lot.
    1x4, 80# Had to push from my toes on last one.
    1x4, 80# Not going ATG...at all. Repeat next time.

Just FYI: Guys, when you're at a station doing sets silently and easily - without a sound - then a chick walks up to use the station next to you and you suddenly start grunting really loudly on the next set (of the same thing, w/o increasing weight), women do not think it is sexy/attractive. We tend to think it's really funny. Especially when it's something silly like seated calf raises... :P

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 18, 2009, 06:08:57 PM »
April 18, 2009:
Sleep: 7.5 hours. And it wasn't b/c I had to wake up after that, either! I just couldn't sleep anymore. This fits with what i already know about my sleep cycles. Looks like 7.5 is the magic number to shoot for (for me, at least).

Awesometastic jam day! We were out for about 5 hours, but I have no idea how much time we/I spent on any given thing. It was kind of a guided jam today, targeted at brand-new beginners, which is totally OK b/c I need to work on these skills too. :) And I liked getting feedback and advice. I still feel like such a n00b, even though I've been working on some of this stuff for 10 months now.

• Random warming up and vaulting stuff.
  • Roll training. Awesome! I do not suck as much as I used to. :D Need to keep working on this, but there has been lots of improvement. I did some basic rolls starting from a standing jump. Also, my first run-and-jump-off-of-something rolls. Yay! AND one of those was over my nondominant shoulder!
  • Flow training. This was...maybe a little too hard for me at times, even though it was geared towards beginners. I still can't jump as far as some of the guys can when they show up on their first day. :P However, I managed to scale everything to a point where I could do it. I did my first jump across a planter (with huge prickly bushes in the bottom) that has scared me every time I've faced it up til today. And I didn't die! This is a Big Thing. Flow still isn't very smooth (OK, it isn't smooth at all), but that'll come with time.
  • Kong stuff on my own. Worked on stalling at the top. I had an epiphany about how these should feel when I was at the Indiana jam, and tried to put it into practice today. I need to dive down so that my center of balance comes up even with my shoulders. The weight transfer feels better - I probably could've done these today, if I hadn't been too scared about coming down on the stuff on the other side of the wall.
  • Cat balance on top of a ~5 inch wide wall.
  • Walking on round rails. (I usually walk on ones that are about an inch wide and flat on top.)
  • Wall climbs. I can take one step up the wall, jump up, and catch myself on the ledge if I can get my fingers solidly on top. I can also (usually) get my head up over the ledge, and then I get stuck.
  • Underbars on scaffolding. Bottom bar is about waist height, top bar is head/shoulder height at its highest point. Practiced going between these.
  • Worked on brachiation (isn't that a nice word?) along a high piece of scaffolding. Jumped up so I could grab the metal, then swung along until I worked my way from one support to the next (about 10 feet). This was pretty fun, because it's a new skill for me.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 07:44:24 PM by TraceuseDS »

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: April 20, 2009, 06:31:20 AM »
April 19, 2009:
Sleep: 2.5 + 5 + 2 + 1 hours (fell asleep on the couch...then sleeping in the car on a road trip). Rest day!

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 20, 2009, 07:08:54 PM »
April 20, 2009:
Sleep: 5.5 hours (uhhmm...I DID take a lot of naps yesterday...)

• Warmup (yay! there actually WAS one!): ~10 assisted dips...5 assisted pullups on a super-easy setting...
  • pseudo-K2Es: 4x5 (second to last set was broken into 2+3 and last set was 4+1, mostly due to grip - got stuck using one of those bars with massive spiky ridges on them and my callouses are still in sad shape after Saturday)
  • Deadlift:
    1x5, 55#
    3x5, 85# (there aren't any 2.5# plates at this branch)
  • Handstand work: slightly less than 10 minutes. Wasn't happening - should've put this first. :P

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 21, 2009, 09:59:15 AM »
April 21, 2009:
Sleep: 7+ hours. Orchestra rehearsal later tonight. Rest day.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 22, 2009, 03:09:21 PM »
April 22, 2009:
Sleep: 6.5 hours.

• Warmup: Random dips and some heavily assisted pullups.
  • Pullups:
    1x5, 100# assist
    1x1(+fail), 70# assist
    2x3(+fail each time), 80# assist
    1x5, 90# assist. I really wish I could figure out how much of this is due to the different amount of assistance provided by different machines (they all are supposed to work the same at each of the 4 branches I frequent, but none seem to provide the same assistance at the same setting >:() and how much is due to my ability fluctuating due to whatever outside cause.
  • Planche work: 10 s, 5 s, 5 s on the arm-assisted tuck planche. Decided to try for the for-real tuck planche...mostly unsuccessful, but I think it's time to work on this again.
  • Squat:
    1x5, 55#
    3x5, 80# Form is still a work in progress, but it was acceptable today. Go for 85# next time.

Little bit of random muscle soreness today...mostly in lats and hamstrings.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 23, 2009, 07:00:57 PM »
April 23, 2009:
Sleep: 7.25 hours.

Mostly a rest day, but I did a couple of vaults and precisions. Vaults were lazy vaults over a wobbly railing, so meh. The precisions, though, felt bizarrely...solid. Cool. :)

--------
Also did some random parkour stuff during my walk in the rainstorm. Primarily balance work. Rainboots are not good for absorbing landings.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 12:13:19 PM by TraceuseDS »