Author Topic: Carolyn's Training Log (TraceuseDS)  (Read 96075 times)

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
Re: Carolyn's Training Log (TraceuseDS)
« Reply #200 on: March 06, 2009, 10:28:27 AM »
Yeah, I think you're right. I've kind of been coming to that conclusion myself lately.

New plan.

Push
Planche
Handstand

Pull
Pullup
Lever

P.C.
Squat
Deadlift

The problem is that I was doing most of the weight stuff b/c I figured it'd help accomplish goals...and out of some vague notion that it'd help with strength issues in my parkour technique as a whole...it *kind of* worked when I had as much time as I wanted to do this (and to sleep), but I don't think it'll work at all anymore.

I think what I'm going to do - at least for the next little while - is just do one thing from each category each day. I think I'll keep the rolls, too, since they're more of a skill thing, and they work pretty well as a warmup. Would that be better?
Just take the next step.A day without a challenge is a wasted day.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #201 on: March 06, 2009, 11:11:26 AM »
Below are the workouts you can do to achieve your goals...

Planche - Planche Progression Static Holds; Planche Progression Pushups; Pseudo-Planche Pushups
Handstand - Handstand holds against the wall until you can hold for 30 sec against the wall straight; HSPU negatives and mini HSPU work.

Pullup - Pullup negatives; Weighted pullup negatives
Front Lever - Front lever progressions; Front lever progression pullups; front lever progression pulls; Inverted Hang to Hang in FL progression pose.

Squat - Squat
Deadlift - Deadlift

That said, keep the freestanding HS work and the rolls work at the beginning just after or as part of your warmup.  Do one from each category each work day -- work days every other day....you will be off to a flying start.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 06, 2009, 11:25:37 AM »
Thank you. :)

Ya know, I don't think I realized how much the overload was stressing me out until just now...and suddenly I feel a lot better. :) I have a plan now!

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #203 on: March 06, 2009, 11:31:11 AM »
Thank you. :)

Ya know, I don't think I realized how much the overload was stressing me out until just now...and suddenly I feel a lot better. :) I have a plan now!

Glad to hear it.  Let me be a bit more clear though...

Day 1 should be
Planche
Pullup
Squat

Day 2 should be
Handstand
Front Lever
Deadlift

For each of these pick something from the list to do and be consistent!

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 08, 2009, 11:42:45 AM »
Yep, yep. I understand. :)

March 6, 2009:
Rest day. I really didn't mean for it to be, but I think it ended up being a good thing. Fell asleep in my living room on the couch...woke up 3 hours later and went into my room, fell asleep fully clothed with all the lights on...woke up ANOTHER 3 hours later, and finally managed to turn out the lights and change into my PJs. Sheesh. I guess I really needed the sleep. I've been pushing too hard, and I'm having a hard time getting back into good sleeping patterns now that I have to wake up early in the mornings again. Sleep times have been getting progressively better over the course of the week, but this is still something I need to fix. I think I might start logging sleep for a bit, just to force myself to think about it.

March 7, 2009:
Not much. Out of the house all day, getting set for a benefit dinner thing for the orchestra I'm in.

March 8, 2009:
Sleep: 9 hours. ;D MUCH better.

• 10 rolls, right: Standing to standing (mostly). Remember to tuck your leading hand under far enough, and breathe with the movement.
  • 10 rolls, left: Tends to veer a little too far to the left. Concentrate on the diagonal line from shoulder to hip.
  • Tuck planche attempts, assisted: 10 minutes. Slow falls (perhaps a second, onto my face/knees), rather than not being able to get into the position at all. So that's progress. Right before the end, I discovered something: I need to use my fingers more to push, which seems...weird...but it helps.
  • Pullup negatives: 2x4. Really good, actually. Broken sets, but I managed to keep everything in the 5-7 second range, where it should be. I think I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing (and what I did today): Jumping pullup to get up to the top, try to hold for a count, then lower for a count of 5-7. When this system gets really easy, and I can do 3x5 with good form, then I'll start weighting...I'm thinking plates in a backpack.
  • Squat:
    1x5, 30#
    3x5, 50# Couple of these were reeeeaalllly slow. Need to remember to go ATG.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 10, 2009, 04:12:28 PM »
March 9, 2009:
Rest day. 6.5 hours of sleep...better than last week. I've been trying to go to sleep 15 minutes earlier each night. I just can't stand the thought of going to bed at 10, but maybe if I work up to it...Ick.

March 10, 2009:
Sleep: 6.75 hours.

• 10 rolls, right: Standing to standing.
  • 10 rolls, left: Basic. I don't know what this weird habit is that I'm developing - it's causing my leading knee to hit the ground. Huh.
  • And then, just cuz I was in a goofy mood, backwards somersaults. Maybe half a dozen.
  • Handstand attempts: Slightly less than 10 minutes (that's how long I set the timer for, but my cat really wanted to help today, so I kept having to move her). Decent number of holds that lasted for at least a fraction of a second, but I need to remember to actually straighten my legs out all the way.
  • Decided to test my max time for handstands against a wall, just for kicks. Back to the wall, just my heels touching, 1:30. Stopped at that point b/c my form was getting sloppy. Not bad. :)
  • Tuck front lever attempts: Jeez louise, that's HARD! ;D I know I'm supposed to be timing short sets and working up to a total of 60 seconds, according to Coach Sommers, but I can't get my hips up to shoulder height yet. Gave myself 10 minutes just to work on it. I'll time next time (it may end up being many many sets of 1 second, but I'll try it). Looks like this may be one of those things like learning how to do a frogstand - sets start out tiny and gradually build up.
  • DL:
    1x5, 20#
    3x5, 30# Still working up to a weight that's actually hard so that I have time to tweak my form on the way - b/c this could SUCK if it's done wrong.

Off to orchestra...come to think of it, a rehearsal night may not have been the best time to try front levers for this first time. Hmm. This'll be fun! :P
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 08:50:12 AM by TraceuseDS »

Offline Spencer B

• the Romantic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ...*BANG*...
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 10, 2009, 06:46:19 PM »
Here's something that might help your FL stuff, at least since your just beginning... First and foremost, mkake sure you have a solid grip and can hold on for at least 30-ish seconds and preferably, something real soft, like REALLY soft to land on, if you doubt your grip strength.

Hang from the bar and try to lean back as much as you can, don't worry about stopping at front lever position, just try to get all the back into a complete inverted hang (if you can, bend your legs over the bar for extra support, readjust your grip, then go from there) Once you are completely, or almost completely upside down, work on just hanging there with your arms and feeling how the muscles work and whatnot. try to get an inverted hang for a good 20 seconds and then work towards a tuck planche.
www.cracked.com
www.tvtropes.org

There are times when you want to break down and rage at the heavens. Don't. Stay calm, and let the emotions flood in, accept them and then rise above them. Never dwell. Don't fear or worry. Anything worth thinking about is worth talking about. And... Good luck.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 10, 2009, 07:57:13 PM »
Hmm, thanks for the idea! My grip strength is pretty good (16 years of being a cellist = fairly high translation to grip strength), but I'm not sure I have enough overhead clearance to try this one at home. It'll be a good one for the gym, though!

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 11, 2009, 08:03:16 AM »
March 11, 2009:
Rest day. 7 hours of sleep...kinda. That's when I turned the light off, anyway. I was just staring up at the ceiling for what seemed like a long time. Stupid daylight savings time...still has me all screwed up. :P

Random weirdness: I noticed last night when I got to rehearsal that my right arm was covered with dozens of tiny red marks, mostly in the general region of my bicep. They almost look like freckles, there are so many of them. Could I have caused that by doing my max time handstand?? ??? It's like I burst tiny blood vessels or something...Yikes!

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #209 on: March 11, 2009, 08:33:27 AM »
Here's something that might help your FL stuff, at least since your just beginning... First and foremost, mkake sure you have a solid grip and can hold on for at least 30-ish seconds and preferably, something real soft, like REALLY soft to land on, if you doubt your grip strength.

Hang from the bar and try to lean back as much as you can, don't worry about stopping at front lever position, just try to get all the back into a complete inverted hang (if you can, bend your legs over the bar for extra support, readjust your grip, then go from there) Once you are completely, or almost completely upside down, work on just hanging there with your arms and feeling how the muscles work and whatnot. try to get an inverted hang for a good 20 seconds and then work towards a tuck planche.

While this is a decent suggestion, I've found that if you are unable to hold a tuck FL, the best thing to do is to start doing sets of knees to elbows. To do this properly, hang from the bar completely and without letting your elbows bend, do a tuck with your knees and rotate your torso until your knees touch your elbows. If you need to help yourself out a bit, your can either swing slightly to give yourself a little momentum to work with or bend your elbows enough to get you up.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #210 on: March 11, 2009, 09:12:51 AM »
If you are going to swing slightly I would suggest focusing more intently on the negative aspect of the K-2-E.

March 11, 2009:
Rest day. 7 hours of sleep...kinda. That's when I turned the light off, anyway. I was just staring up at the ceiling for what seemed like a long time. Stupid daylight savings time...still has me all screwed up. :P

Random weirdness: I noticed last night when I got to rehearsal that my right arm was covered with dozens of tiny red marks, mostly in the general region of my bicep. They almost look like freckles, there are so many of them. Could I have caused that by doing my max time handstand?? ??? It's like I burst tiny blood vessels or something...Yikes!

Not quite sure.  Picture?

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 11, 2009, 06:43:54 PM »
Mmmkay. The zoom button on my camera isn't working, so this is the best I could do. Left-handed, mind you!

You can only really see a couple of the bigger marks, but there are literally dozens and dozens of (out-of-focus) smaller ones.

EDIT-Wow, that's out of focus. I'll see whether I can find a pic of something similar online.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 06:45:40 PM by TraceuseDS »

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #212 on: March 12, 2009, 08:22:30 AM »
nice arm <3

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 12, 2009, 07:42:49 PM »
Lol, thanks! :P The image does get bigger if you click on it, but it's still not really sharp enough to be helpful in this case.

Yeah...so I can't find anything online that looks like this. WebMD and the Mayo Clinic diagnostics are unhelpful; the only thing I could find that was even remotely similar was a thread on the forum for Men's Health (which I regard with suspicion) that was talking about something similar appearing on a guy's arms after deadlifting. And his pics are even blurrier than mine. My "freckles" are all fading to an old-bruise sort of color, so I'm just going to assume that it was related to damaged blood vessels, and not worry about it unless it happens again.

March 12, 2009:
Sleep: 7 hours + a few minutes.

So...I finally got myself a gym membership! :D It's at one of the mega-super-duper-crazy-huge gyms, but they have all the stuff I need, and decent rates, so I can work with it. Order here is a bit mixed up; I went right after work when everybody and their brother was trying to get a workout in, so it was a bit busy. I'm going to have to work on finding somewhere (perhaps an empty classroom) open enough to do my rolls. Or I could just continue to do that part at home.
  • Squats:
    (last time: 50# + 13# bar = 63# total)
    4x5, 65# SQUAT RACKS ARE AMAZING!!!! ;D It's so nice not to have to maneuver the bar up into position. Or to worry about serious bodily harm if I drop a weight. I was, however, slightly psyched out by the nearly floorlength mirrors that covered the walls - it's really weird to do this while staring at myself the whole time...
  • Assisted pullups: 3x5, 100# assist (ugh!)...these are probably worth doing at least sometimes. Doing the concentric for once felt very nice. :)

Later, after supper and teaching class, I went home and did these:
  • 10 rolls, right: Standing to standing. Tried to focus on reaching my arms out ahead of me instead of placing them closer to my feet, which resulted in a slight loss of control - and one collision with the couch!
  • 10 rolls, left: Basic. Another couch collision - what's going on here?!?
  • Tuck planche work, assisted: Focused on using my fingers - laid my hands almost, but not entirely, flat against the ground and pushed with my fingertips. Was able to hold several assisted for a count of 3 (probably not actually 3 whole seconds, but significantly longer than any of my previous attempts). Cellist fingers, ftw!

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 13, 2009, 07:25:04 AM »
March 13, 2009: (Friday the 13th! Oh noes!! :P ;))
Rest day. Sleep: Slightly less than 6 hours. :-\ Oops...succumbed to the lures of AIM and talking with my sister who's away at school.

+1.5 hour nap
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 06:12:35 PM by TraceuseDS »

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #215 on: March 13, 2009, 05:35:58 PM »
  • Squats:
    (last time: 50# + 13# bar = 63# total)
    4x5, 65# SQUAT RACKS ARE AMAZING!!!! ;D It's so nice not to have to maneuver the bar up into position. Or to worry about serious bodily harm if I drop a weight. I was, however, slightly psyched out by the nearly floorlength mirrors that covered the walls - it's really weird to do this while staring at myself the whole time...
  • Assisted pullups: 3x5, 100# assist (ugh!)...these are probably worth doing at least sometimes. Doing the concentric for once felt very nice. :)

If you are going to do assisted concentrics then definitely do linear progression.  That is, start the first day with some weight (like 100# assist) at 3x5.  The next time you go in, jump up 10# (90# assist, in this case), and do 3x5 again.  Keep doing this unttil you physically CANNOT advance in 10# jumps anymore.  There is a difference between a physical impossibility and you thinking "oh i just don't think i can do that"...trust me.  You will go in more than 1ce thinking that and then walk out surprising yourself.

When you can't go up by 10# anymore, start doing 5# jumps.  Then smaller jumps like 2.5#.  By the time you get to 2.5# jumps you should be doing weighted pullups/chinups at that time :P  if not, you can stack a little 2.5# plate on top of the bunch.

Do the same with your squats.

Let us know how it goes!

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 14, 2009, 10:32:49 AM »
Cool. I'll definitely keep doing those, then. :)

March 14, 2009:
Sleep: <5.5 hours.

Sweet! Second time I've gone into the gym since I signed up, and I'm already pissing off the employees! ::) New gym members are required to do an orientation-type thing sometime during the first 2 weeks, and mine was today. The personal trainer guy who was supposed to be showing me stuff was really confused by the fact that I had clear, well-thought-out goals, and by the fact that I'm not interested in toning - or in losing weight. I think I'm insulted! Here's what he had me do:

• Walking. On a treadmill. 5 minutes.
  • Lat pulldowns: 4 or 5, 40 or 50#, I couldn't see what he set it at.
  • Pushups on a stability ball, 2x6-ish.
  • I held one of those huge stability balls, and he hit it...um...no idea how long
  • Bicep curls, individual arms: 10 per arm, 30# (He says I should be doing sets that are this big b/c I'm not strong and I need to "form a foundation" before I start strength training. I think this is stupid.)

He also says I shouldn't do squats or deadlifts, b/c I'm not strong enough and I'll hurt myself. I told him I had a workout plan, and politely tried explaining it. He insulted your workout plan, Chris. ::gasp!:: :o Then he tried to convince me I need to sign up for personal training so I can have a trainer plan all my workouts for me and monitor my diet for me (I know I'm not super-knowledgeable when it comes to working out, but seriously! >:(). I *politely* declined. Then I went and did MY workout.

• DL:
    (last time: 30# +13# bar = 43# total)
    4x5, 45# (just the bar)
  • Knees-to-elbows:
    1x3 Grouchy and not counting properly
    2x5 They're not quite all the way up to my elbows, but I figure that if I keep doing these almost-there K2Es, I'll be able to do real ones soon enough. And then tuck FLs, and then advanced tuck FLs, and then *real* FLs. It'll get there.
  • Handstands: None. Arms are tired, and this is a skill thing, so it'll suffer. Plus I'm pissed and I want to do this when Mr. Personal Trainer Guy isn't floating around watching me.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 10:36:31 AM by TraceuseDS »

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #217 on: March 14, 2009, 08:27:43 PM »
The guy is a tool and has no idea how to train people for strength.

That said, do be careful of injury.  The program you are on *is* high intensity but if you work up slowly (as you clearly are...) then you will be just fine.  If you ever have second thoughts, feel free to ask.  If you ever feel like something is "not right" then skip it.

For god's sake, though, you are doing DLs with an empty bar.  Like you never had to pick up something 45# before?  If nothing else, you are training to pick things up off the ground properly....

Make sure your form is stellar.  If you can video yourself that would be great.  It would be ever better if you could post those vids here for us to make sure you are doing things properly.  I have a feeling if you ask this guy (or anyone else in your gym...) for advice on form you might learn very improperly....

You're very driven and very smart Carolyn.  Train as smart as you are training and you will be a beast in no time!  Don't forget skill training so that you can be an amazing traceuse as well as a strong one! :P

EDIT: By the way, what did he say about the methods we laid out for you here? :P  Do bear in mind that you are a woman and women are...abused...in this industry.  It's very easy to convince a woman they need help in the gym. 

Whenever I go into a new gym i get the same BS deal.. "you should see a trainer!" then I say no, they ask why, I say I have a plan, they ask what it is...then they shut the hell up and leave me alone.  Funny how I don't get treated like you get treated, isn't it?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 08:31:09 PM by Chris Salvato »

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 14, 2009, 10:08:40 PM »
Yeah, he was kind of a tool.

I'm not worried, b/c I feel like I know what I'm doing - at least enough to know when NOT to do it. If that makes any sense. And I have great resources, like you guys, to go to when I am confused. :)

Mostly we kept circling around and around and coming back to the same thing. He was absolutely, positively CONVINCED that I really did want to lose weight. Which is just plain presumptuous. And rude. And I don't need to, btw. I'm convinced that weight is just a number, and I'm much more concerned about being able to do the things I want to do (and perhaps having a healthy body composition) than about how much I weigh. I explained this to him, and he kept coming back to "oh, what's your ideal weight?" and "don't you want to lose weight?" and "What about toning?" Again and again and again.

About the things in my plan - I called him on the 10 reps of everything he was recommending for me. I told him that I was going for strength rather than endurance, that strength translates nominally to endurance but that the reverse is not true, and that I normally did 5 reps because I'm trying to build strength, to which he responded with that comment about "laying a base" before doing strength work (because I was too weak to strength train). Too bad he never asked what my prior experience was.

Also, when he pressured me about the personal training, he asked how I planned on reaching my goals all by myself. I told him what the plan was, and how often I was going to be doing it; he came back with "I have to be brutally honest with you. You're never going to be able to do a pullup using that plan." [I don't think there's a smiley that exists that's angry enough for how that makes me feel!] He said that I'm going to plateau and not be able to make gains unless I switch up my exercises every week or two, because your body adapts (yeah, and that's why you increase resistance :P) and exercises become ineffective. And that I'm not going to be able to do that on my own (without his help) because I won't know which exercises to do. That's also when he told me that I shouldn't do the squats or the deadlifts, because I'll hurt myself. Note: He never at any point in time had me do a weighted squat, or any sort of deadlift, so he has no idea what my form looks like, or how strong I am (or am not). He's basing this last bit entirely off of seeing me do two air squats, at which point he informed me that my back and knees are weak.

And then he started in on the weight thing again.

So, what have we learned from this? (1) I'm not smart enough to work out. (2) I'm not strong enough (?!?) to work out. (3) I'm fat. Yeah, that about sums it up. :P

Offline Liset Reep

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 15, 2009, 04:10:57 AM »
"So, what have we learned from this? (1) I'm not smart enough to work out. (2) I'm not strong enough (?!?) to work out. (3) I'm fat. Yeah, that about sums it up."

What a horrible experience! That guy sounds like he was trying to play off what he perceived your weaknesses and fears to be just to get you to pay him to do what he wanted.  Though, I guess that's stating the obvious, huh?

Hopefully you won't be harassed so much (or at all, really) for the other times you go to that gym. :)

You can do it!
My wedding anniversary is the same weekend as the CO National Jam.
This makes me very sad, and if I didn't already have everything booked, it'd be a hard decision.