Author Topic: Carolyn's Training Log (TraceuseDS)  (Read 98364 times)

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
Re: Carolyn's Training Log (TraceuseDS)
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2008, 10:01:16 AM »
Ouch sorry to hear that. I'd say in the meantime transition from what you're doing into a more CF style workout and transition back into the strength O-lifts once you get your life situated again.

http://www.crossfit.com

Yeah, that might be a good plan. I'm also considering integrating some elements from the APK WODs into my workouts on a more regular basis, since those seem to be pretty PK-centered. I'll still keep my eyes open for any garage sale equipment, though.

to learn how to squat and deadlift properly pick up a copy of Starting Strength.
http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-2nd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0976805421

Either that book or Greg Everett's book is supposed to be very good too for learning proper squat/DL form...
http://www.performancemenu.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=155

Plenty of women do these lifts, btw...

I was hoping I might be able to find these at the local library, but no such luck. I may end up asking for SS for Christmas or something, if I can't manage to get a copy of my own before then. I'm not in a super-big rush, since I need either equipment or a gym membership before I can actually use the information from the book.

Oh, and thanks for the encouragement! Don't worry too much, though - if I was concerned about conforming to the traditional definition of "ladylike," I wouldn't be doing parkour in the first place. ;)
Just take the next step.A day without a challenge is a wasted day.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2008, 09:54:51 AM »
Tuesday:
Orchestra (I'm super-excited to be playing Night on Bald Mountain). Beyond that...I did a little extra pull-up work at the playground (with my backpack on). I'm trying to increase the number I'm doing with the GTG pull-up negatives, b/c at the moment I'm lucky if I get more than 10 a day.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2008, 07:00:22 PM »
Wednesday:
OK, so I just got back from doing yesterday's APK WOD (it was raining, plus it's my dad's b-day today, so I didn't make it to the weekly jam/training downtown). The WOD looked like this:
    Workout- "Bubblemaker's Revenge" 4 round for time:
    • 7 Muscle Ups (preferably performed on a straight bar [...] Sub 4 pullups and dips for each muscle up if you are unable to do them)
    • Run 200m
    • 14 Pistols , alternating legs (so 7 each leg)

My version looked like this (4 rounds of everything but the warmup):
    • Warmup (Walked about a quarter of a mile, then jogged about a quarter of a mile. Messed around on the captain's chair, to which I am apparently addicted. This part wasn't timed.)
    • 7x4 pull-up negatives, alternating with 7x4 dips (The first time around I did 28 pull-ups in a row followed by 28 dips in a row - bad idea. By the end of the last round I was basically just slowing myself down a little as I fell in the negatives, and I discovered that I also really can't do dips. At all. The ones I did were probably the shallowest ones ever.)
    • Run 200m (Well, actually I figured that 200m = ~0.125 mi, so that's what I did. On a treadmill, b/c of the rain/puddles.)
    • 14 pistols, alternating legs (Did this holding onto a door frame.)
    My time was 39:52. Wow.

So my question is this: Is it better to complete a workout and suck at it, or to just do a half-assed workout and stop? Because if I'd stopped when I started sucking, I would've made it through less than half of this. I have a horrible feeling that my arms are going to be useless for the next couple of days.

Note to self: Next time you do this, don't do it right after supper. :P
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 07:11:10 PM by TraceuseDS »

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2008, 07:04:35 PM »
looks like before you do this metcon-style (all in a row) you need to work on your strength...

You should work your Pullup negatives into a routine if ur not doing GTG.  Sicne you are doing GTG, don't overdo the pullups...

Your dips you can either do GTG or you can do structured negatives for now in a 3x5 (3 sets, 5 reps) or similar, untill you are strong enough to do one.  When you can do 1, do sets of one until you can do sets of 2, etc...

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 08:39:53 PM »
Yeah...the arms were useless today. And all my callouses are getting peely. Again. ::sigh:: I WAAYYYY overdid both pull-up negs and dips last night.

Thursday:
So today was a running day. This was very lucky, b/c the APK WOD involved sprinting today, which is pretty much what I should be doing anyway. I decided to trade out the longer intervals and do this instead (just for today) to mix things up a bit.

Warmup: Jogged 1/2 a mile. Knee raises on the CC (2x10; started mixing in straight-legged ones, which are harder).
Sprint intervals (x15)
  • Sprint 0:30
  • Rest 1:00
Cooldown: Same as warmup...just divide everything by 2...

Woot. Also attempted some GTG pull-up negs and a few assisted dips (kept my heels touching the floor)...this was mostly unsuccessful. I realized after I finished last night that I did over 100 of each of those...I'm just glad I didn't do it the night before a rehearsal or (Heaven forbid) a concert. ::shudder::

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2008, 08:16:07 PM »
Friday:
Today I did a few random sets of 15 squats at work. I also discovered that the desk that goes around 3 sides of my cubicle is exactly the right distance apart on the open end for me to do...well, I guess they're the equivalent of bench dips. This could either be really good or really bad, because as soon as I discovered that I kept wanting to get up and do a dip...or two...or three...suffice it to say that I covered my bases with the GTG bench dips today. GTG pull-up negatives weren't so great, but there has been less falling and more lowering involved since I discovered that it's a good idea to keep my elbows in more.

Today = weight day. I've been wanting to move away from the machines and more towards freeweights, so I did a little research and tried to remember what I used to do in skill and body in my high school gym class. This is what I came up with:
  • Warm-up: Jogged 1/2 a mile; 2x10 on CC (1/2 knee raises, 1/2 L-whatever-they-are)
  • Bench press: 5 at 20#, 3x5 at 30#
  • Shoulder press with dumbbells: 3x5, 10# in each hand
  • Single arm row: 3x5 at 10# (for each arm; my right [dominant] arm was doing way better, but I decided to keep the weight the same for both) (hopefully I'm calling this the right thing - it's the one where you put one knee and one hand on the bench and bring the arm with the weight up towards you)
  • My messed-up version of squats: 5 w/30# total (two 15# weights); 5 w/70# total; 5 w/24# total (some random guys came and started using all the lighter weights, so I decided to see whether I could do a set with the next lightest set of weights [35#]; I ended up going back to a lower weight when it was available b/c I couldn't go as deep with the heavier weights)
  • Lunges around the perimeter of the racquetball court (the random guys were monopolizing the light weights, so I improvised; this also ended up being kind of a cool-down)

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2008, 09:02:54 PM »
Remember to take days off of GTG...

Doing too much will cause you to never progress...

You don't get stronger by stressing your body -- you get stronger RECOVERING from stressing your body.

I know you probably knew this but i wanted to make sure it was crystal clear :)  keep up the good work

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2008, 09:34:52 AM »
Yep, I know. Part of the reason I pushed so hard at the end of last week was b/c I knew the weekend would be pretty much a wash. It's good to be reminded sometimes, though. Thank you! :)

Saturday/Sunday:
Visited my little sisters at college this weekend, so I didn't end up doing much of anything (unless you count climbing to the top of the bleachers at the football game, lol). I ended up showing my youngest sister how to use the exercise equipment in the basement of her dorm (talk about the blind leading the blind! at least I know how most of it works, though), but that was at super-low (and weirdly unspecified) weights.

And an awesome thing happened: I finally did a cartwheel! :D I've been trying to do these since I was a little kid, but it never quite worked. I still need to work on keeping my legs straight, but progress has been made! (Thanks, Katy!)

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2008, 09:21:41 AM »
Monday:
Due to some drama in my kitchen (involving a garbage disposal, an allen wrench, and two-week-old spaghetti) I didn't have a lot of time to do anything. Also, I think my days of training outside in the evenings may be over until spring; it's already getting cold/dark by the time I get home from work, so I've been using the fitness center a lot. However, I did work on the 1/4 mile sprints. Since I was "sprinting" on a treadmill I never really got up to full speed (I was having visions of myself flying off the back...), but I was able to maintain a running-type pace for the entire duration of each sprint, which is progress...I think. 4 sprints, each 1/4 mile = 1 mile of sprinting (still ~2 min breaks between). Also worked on GTG pull-up negatives and GTG bench dips.

I've really been neglecting my handstands and rolls, so I plan to try some of those before rehearsal tonight.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2008, 09:40:04 AM »
If its any consolation -- all last winter i worked out in sub-freezing temperatures in total darkness in a wide open windy park for 2 hours a night ;) ....and I ran there....and the bars I used were solid metal...and i didn't wear gloves :P

Pain tolerance is key :P

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2008, 08:32:38 PM »
Ugh...that sounds pretty terrible. And yeah, I guess it'd have a lot to do w/pain tolerance, since nerves register temperatures below 30-40 degrees as pain rather than as a temperature. :P

I'm just trying to gauge how much of my unwillingness to train outside after dark is due to legitimate safety concerns and how much is due to me being paranoid...I know I feel a lot better if I'm training with someone else when it's dark out. I won't quit training outside completely, though - I certainly plan on continuing to go to as many training sessions as possible, and those are almost always after dark for at least part of the time.

Tuesday:
Orchestra. I did manage to work in some rolls today, and a very little bit of handstand practice against a wall. Having trouble (mentally, not physically) jumping back into GTG in general, but I managed to do at least a few pull-up negs and bench dips. Better tomorrow!

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2008, 07:52:34 PM »
Wednesday:
Missed training downtown. Went to the mini-gym upset, frustrated, and stressed out after spending the evening at the hospital visiting a friend.

• Warmup: Jogged to the gym (about 1/4 mile). Ran 1/2 a mile once I got there.
  • CC: 3x10 (alternating knee raises and straight legs)
  • Bench press machine: 5 w/30#, attempted 40# and failed, 5 w/30#, 5 w/40#, 2 w/40# and failed (part of the reason for my erratic performance is that I realized one of the shortcomings of doing this with a machine: there's no *real* bar coming down towards you, so I'd been moving around bringing the machine down too far to begin with vertically [almost as far as the bench] and moving it around horizontally [anywhere from near my collarbone to nearly halfway down my ribcage]. this needs to be fixed. i think it should be coming down no farther vertically than it would be with a real bar [i.e., not past my chest], and horizontally somewhere around where my shoulders/armpits are)
  • Shoulder press with dumbells: 5w/10# (in each hand), 3x5 w/12# (in each hand)
  • Single arm row: 4x5 w/12# (each arm)
  • My modified squat: 3x5 w/30# total (two 15# dumbbells)
  • Lunges: 3x10 w/20# total (alternating legs, so 5/leg in each set)
  • Cooldown: A heck of a lot of stretching
GTG fail.

Today (Thursday):
I finished editing my last manuscript at work yesterday, so that means that all we have left to do are proofs. Which means that I don't have as much work to do. Which means that we're going down to 3 day workweeks. Which means that I have more time to practice parkou...er, to apply for jobs. Visited my friend again today...it looks like both she and the baby are going to be fine (I think her husband may have a few more gray hairs, though).

Went out and made use of my new-found free time (after searching for 3 hours and applying for ONE job) by going out and playing in the park near my house. Luckily the creepy guy with the binoculars wasn't there today...Did about 40 underbars, about 50 box jumps, about 50 precisions at various heights/distances (I haven't forgotten about you, NJ...and now I'm talking to my jumps...wow), and a little bit of work on cat leaps. GTG dips and GTG pullup negs.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 07:56:58 PM by TraceuseDS »

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2008, 09:52:04 PM »
Friday:
Dress rehearsal right after work. There wasn't a lot to do at work (literally <1 hour of work to do all day), so I did a bunch of GTG bench dips and started wandering around trying to find places to do GTG pullup negs. Learned that bookcases don't quite cut it...did some real ones when I got home. Practiced rolls a little after rehearsal, but it ended up being mostly a rest day.

Saturday:
Set up chairs, stands, etc., for a full symphony orchestra. Played a concert.

Sunday:
Realized (yet again) why high heels are evil...tried to run a mile tonight, and made it through about 1/2 a mile before the aftermath of wearing heels for an extended period of time yesterday caught up with me. I was feeling kinda sick anyway, so I fell back into an old habit (probably a bad one) and did 20 minutes on the elliptical. Went home and practiced my handstands against a wall and did a little work trying to kick up into freestanding headstands/handstands. A few GTG pullup negs and GTG bench dips. At some point I also realized that I'd randomly (and unintentionally) skipped supper...whoops...

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2008, 10:43:04 PM »
Monday:
Played 3 short concerts for little kids today. Fun times. :) Decided to try my weight routine anyway, and it actually went fairly well.
  • Warmup: Jogged 1/2 a mile. CC: 3 sets of 10 (alternating knee raises/straight).
  • Bench press machine: 5 w/20#, 5 w/30#, 5 w/40# (barely), 2x5 w/30# (still adjusting a bit, but a lot more consistent)
  • Shoulder press w/DBs: 5 w/10# in each hand, 3x5 w/12#
  • Single-arm row: 5 w/12#, 3x5 w/15# (per arm)
  • My modified squat: 4x5 w/30# total (not quite sure what to do next here; moving up to the next available weight means more than doubling my current weight [to 70# total - attempted, but failed]. I suppose I'll concentrate on form and going as far down as possible for a bit)
  • Weighted lunge: 5 w/20# total, 3x5 w/24# total
GTG.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 01:42:12 PM by TraceuseDS »

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2008, 01:41:32 PM »
Realized (yet again) why high heels are evil...tried to run a mile tonight, and made it through about 1/2 a mile before the aftermath of wearing heels for an extended period of time yesterday caught up with me.
Thought about this a bit more. I wonder whether I've found one of the culprits in the calf cramping episodes. I hadn't been having any issues for a while, then it started up again at the end of this week, after I worked on the box jumps/precisions on Thursday, and it got a lot worse over the weekend. Hypothesis: My tendency to sometimes allow my knees to bend TOO far in landings, combined with bad shoes could be causing this (just for the record, I rarely wear anything but flats - Saturday was the exception, not the rule). Solution (?): Work on my form in landings and...er...wear better shoes.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2008, 03:00:46 PM »
Tuesday:
Really cold out, but at least the ground is still warm enough that the random snow from yesterday didn't stick (since when does it snow in OCTOBER, btw???). Did four sets of 400m sprints, still with 2:00 breaks between them. I decided that quantitative data is going to help motivate me more than qualitative data on this one, so here's the time for my first 400m: 1:38. Not sure what the times were for the other three, but my total time (breaks included) was 14:24. GTG.

Goals for next time: First sprint under 1:36. Run at 100% for the ENTIRE second sprint.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2008, 09:38:22 AM »
Wednesday:
Training day!! ;D Finally made it out to the weekly training session again after two weeks off. My new shoes are pretty awesometastic out there (I've been using them in my neighborhood, but this was the first time I wore them to this park). Worked on a bunch of stuff, and re-encountered the NJ. Here's a list (prolly more general than it is comprehensive, but w/e):
  • Worked on some precisions from various heights up/down to other places. Analyzed my landing form; I'm definitely bending my knees a bit too much. I think the best way to fix that would be to work on leg strength (which I'm already doing), and just practice landings a lot.
  • Did some random attempts at clearing NJ on and off throughout the night. I have SO got the distance. It's actually really easy to jump FAR enough now (it used to be pretty hard); I just can't get myself to land on something above ground level when it's that far away. It's scary. I think my plan right now is to start just jumping up from the ground onto the second bench, then slowly try it from farther and farther away.
  • Practiced cartwheels a bit while other people were working on flips. I got so excited (about being able to do SOMETHING) that the first time I tried it I accidentally did the first part of a front handspring and plopped over on my back, lol. ::) Subsequent attempts were better, but I still mostly need to work on keeping my legs straight and getting my hips directly over my head.
  • Lots and lots of parkour tag - probably around an hour and a half of it, maybe more. (Tag + lava = parkour tag = AWESOME ;D)

EDIT-Oh! I forgot. I also learned how to gate vault. :D This vault is made of awesome, but I really need to find someplace nearby where I can practice it. Also, GTG pullup negs and GTG bench dips.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 05:13:00 PM by TraceuseDS »

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2008, 11:37:05 AM »
have you done any pullup attempts?

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2008, 11:43:15 AM »
Bleh, yeah. I still can't even get my arms to bend to a 90 degree angle. :-\

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2008, 01:29:23 PM »
thats ok :)  just make sure you try concentric (positive) attempts every so often to gauge your progress.