Author Topic: Carolyn's Training Log (TraceuseDS)  (Read 94999 times)

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
Re: Carolyn's Training Log (TraceuseDS)
« Reply #180 on: February 19, 2009, 12:15:13 PM »
Thanks, Spenser. I appreciate the encouragement (although what you call "discipline" some might call "obsession," or just "sheer stubbornness" ;)). It's nice to hear something like that every once in a while. :)

Actually, I'd like to take a moment just to say thanks to all of you who've posted in this log. You've all been very encouraging, and I don't think anyone here has ever told me - even once - that I can't do something. I've been dealing with some very misogynistic stuff lately out in the real world, and it has reminded me how nice it is to have a place like this where people don't tell you that you can't (or shouldn't) do something just because you're a woman. Thank you.

February 19, 2009:
Rest day #2. I can do this...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 12:24:20 PM by TraceuseDS »
Just take the next step.A day without a challenge is a wasted day.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #181 on: February 19, 2009, 12:39:29 PM »
On the contrary -- i get really pissed when women tell me they can't do something because they are a girl.  If women can do this, they can do anything physical:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iavq_y20thc

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 19, 2009, 12:53:54 PM »
Lol, true! I totally agree with you. We can do anything we put our minds to. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who don't share that point of view. And, apparently, some of them feel compelled to tell me so. :P

...MAJOR props to the ladies in that video, btw! That was freaking awesome!!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 12:55:50 PM by TraceuseDS »

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 20, 2009, 04:02:47 PM »
February 20, 2009:
I managed to behave myself and take it easy for both rest days (with the exception of moving some tables around for my ESL students). Yay, me!
  • 10 rolls, right: Crouching to standing. Better. Did them so fast I made myself dizzy. :P Slow it down if you're practicing!
  • 10 rolls, left: Really whacked my left hip into the ground a couple times. Remember your breathing, and to tuck that left arm far enough under you.
  • Handstand attempts: 10 minutes. Stepping into them. Better today - I actually held some for a fraction of a second each, and was conscious of actually losing my balance, which means that I must've HAD my balance for a split second before losing it.
  • HSPU negatives: 3x5. Tried to hold #4 of the first set for too long, and ended up hitting my head on the feet of the dratted parallettes, and clobbering myself in the face with my knee, so #5 of that set was pretty iffy. Last two sets were solid.
  • Tried to push myself up from a shoulder stand, just for fun. Started with my head on the floor so I could tell whether I moved or not: Managed to move enough that less of the top of my head was in contact with the floor, but I couldn't pick it all the way up. Pushed so hard my shoulders hurt, so I stopped.
  • Bench press:
    1x5, 30#
    1x5, 50#
    1x1(fail), 50# Not sure what's going on here.
    1x1(fail), 50# Again.
    1x5, 40#
    1x5, 45#
  • Shoulder press:
    1x5, 20#
    3x5, 40# Breathe! Heels on the floor!
  • One-arm row:
    1x5, 10#
    3x5, 30#

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 22, 2009, 01:41:23 AM »
February 21, 2009:
Dancin'. :)

Better part of 5 hours.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 22, 2009, 09:50:37 PM »
February 22, 2009:
Open gym! ;D

• Practiced jumping from the trampoline, doing a forward roll in the air, and landing sitting down on the waist-high giant mat. Otherwise known as working on front flips. ~45 minutes.
  • Worked on handstands, using a mat. Apparently this is harder? Actually held one for a moment (a whole second, maybe?). Then I realized I was holding a handstand, got excited, freaked out, and fell over. ::) I was able to duplicate this performance a couple of times, but not consistently. ~45 minutes.
  • My legs really weren't working anymore after the trampoline, and I stopped handstands b/c my arms wouldn't hold me up anymore, so I practiced wall-climbs for a bit. I was able to get my head and shoulders above a ledge that was ~18+ inches taller than me. Since the "wall" I was climbing on was built out of those fold-up-variety mats, however, I wasn't able to actually try climbing onto the ledge without risking the entire stack falling down on top of me. ~10 minutes.

I feel like I got a lot accomplished this week. :)

(Oh, and yay, blood blisters. And peeling calluses. :P)

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 23, 2009, 09:37:53 PM »
February 23, 2009:
Rest day.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 24, 2009, 08:53:23 PM »
February 24, 2009:
Kiddie concert! So instead of orchestra rehearsal for 2.5 hours as usual, today I had a mini-rehearsal with the little kids, a short concert for their parents, and then normal grown-up orchestra rehearsal. So I'm kinda tired.

Something weird is definitely going on with my body right now. Recovery times are still kind of lagging a bit. So, rather than doing my normal thing, I opted for a modified version of the APK WOD. Here it is as prescribed:
  • Handstand Push-Up x 5 immediately followed by Clap Push-Ups x 5
  • Pistol or weighted Pistol x 5 (each leg) immediately follwed by Jump Squats x 10
  • L-Pull-Up or Weighted Pull-Up x 5 immediately followed by Clap Pull-Ups x 5 (kipping pull-up + clap)
  • After finishing 3 total circuits, finish with Front Plank and Side Plank x 2:00 each.

Here's what I did:
  • Mini-HSPUs x5 (I'm so tired of doing negatives, so these sounded better) immediately followed by clap PUs x5 (these were funny - I can't quite get my hands back on the floor after the clap yet)
  • Pistol x5 (each leg; I'm getting close to 90 degrees with my working leg, but not quite there) immediately followed by jump squats x 10
  • Jumping pullup + negative, x5 immediately followed by kipping attempts x5 (can't kip yet, but I'm working on it)
  • After finishing 1 circuit (sad, I know), finished with tuck planche work, 5:00 (still assisted, still can't balance, but able to briefly lift my feet)

Hopefully the lower intensity of this WOD helps with the recovery time. If not, I'm going to have to start looking for other explanations.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 25, 2009, 10:42:58 AM »
February 25, 2009:
Not quite as much muscle tiredness today. Maybe I really need to rearrange my schedule and focus more on alternating between low intensity and high intensity. Or maybe I still need to adapt further. Hmm.
  • 10 rolls, right: Crouch to standing. My head wasn't in the game today.
  • 10 rolls, left: OK. Still too much impact.
  • Tuck planche attempts, assisted: 10 minutes. I can keep my feet up for a slightly longer fraction of a second if I support my knees on the insides of my elbows. Still not an entire second, though. Yikes.
  • Pullup stuff: 3x5 jumping with negatives. My negatives go kind of fast when I do this (3-5 seconds), but I like having both the concentric and the eccentric integrated. The last set was kind of a waste of time...
  • Squats:
    1x5, 20#
    3x5, 40# I need a squat rack.
  • Deadlift:
    4x5, 10#
  • Lunges:
    1x10, 20#
    1x10, 30#

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 26, 2009, 08:59:11 PM »
February 26, 2009:
Rest day.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 28, 2009, 11:28:02 PM »
February 27, 2009:
Rest day (unplanned). I'm starting my new job on Monday, and my new employers sent me three books I'm trying to have read by then. All said and done, it's 1537 pages to read in a little over four days, so I opted to just keep at it.

February 28, 2009:
Went to open gym today, despite still having a ton of reading to do. I needed the break, and I needed to get up and move. For whatever reason, though, it ended up being a pretty unproductive session. This was entirely my fault. Nothing was happening the way I wanted it to, I was frustrated, I wasn't seeing progress, and I ended up indulging in some fairly pointless and self-defeating behavior.

• We started out with a group warmup (this is new), which went pretty well. It involved a lot of situps, pushups, and jumping in various forms. Did some short obstacle courses as a group (although I skipped the last one rather than attempt it and fail - bad choice #1).
  • Front flips. Exactly the same thing as last week. I even bashed myself in the nose with my knee again, just like last week.
  • Handstands. Worse than last week. I couldn't get my legs to straighten out properly at the top, and there were no holds, fractions of a second long or otherwise.

And it was at about that point that I began getting *REALLY* frustrated. I kept working on those two things the whole time, alternating between them with similar results. By the time it was time to go home, I was asking myself questions like "What's the point of working so hard and getting stronger if I STILL can't do any of these things?" (bad choice #2) By that point, I was really glad for the long car ride home in the dark with loud music blasting.

I know everyone has good days and bad days. And I know I'm getting stronger (I even made myself an Excel spreadsheet a couple weeks ago, complete with graphs, to reassure myself of that fact). But sometimes...it's just really hard to believe that I'm getting any better at this. (And perhaps that's bad choice #3, to even write that.)

Guess I'll chalk this up to being one of the bad days, and hope that next week is better.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #191 on: March 01, 2009, 08:59:15 AM »
you're getting better carolyn, trust me.

Training is hard.  If it was easy, Cirque du Soleil wouldn't be nearly as impressive.

You are getting there -- keep it up!

Offline Megan T

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 01, 2009, 04:29:06 PM »
Carolyn, I'm not exactly sure what's wrong with your handstand attempts, but I do know a couple things about holding them that might help:
A) Engage your core
B) Focus on feeling the floor with your hands.  You can practice this in a frogstand, and shift your weight forward and back by pressing in with your fingertips and then with the meaty part of your palm.  When you kick up into a handstand, try to recreate this feeling.  Don't think about what your lower body is doing, holding a handstand is all in the forearms and hands.

Also, I can totally relate to your frustration about slow (and sometimes lack of) progress.  Some days it seems like I haven't progressed much at all from when I first started training.  But then I remember my first precision off the ground, and my first successful kong, and the first time I conquered the university wall...all the little things I couldn't do eight months ago.  I'm sure you've got a similar list...and remember every one of us here is a constant work in progress.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #193 on: March 01, 2009, 06:19:06 PM »
Don't think about what your lower body is doing, holding a handstand is all in the forearms and hands.

Everyone is different...for many people focusing on reaching toes to the sky and pointing the toes is crucial to achieving proper balance.  Find some things that people suggest and use them....some will work for you, some will not.  Personally, focusing on stretching tall and reaching for the sky are major for me in my handstands.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 02, 2009, 05:14:34 PM »
March 1, 2009:
Rest day. Trying to finish that reading - I ended up getting through about a thousand pages of it, which isn't too bad, considering.

March 2, 2009:
First day working at the new place. It's pretty fantastic. :) I built a bookcase in my office. ;D AND I have a window. :D

• 10 rolls, right: 2 crouch to crouch; 4 crouch to standing; 4 standing to standing
  • 10 rolls, left: These are getting a *little* more controlled. Odds weren't bad, evens I kept hitting the ground too hard with my shoulder.
  • Handstand attempts: 10 minutes. Tried both Chris' and Megan's suggestions. Did not suck as badly as I did Saturday night (I'm beginning to wonder how much all those pushups from the warmup contributed to my poor performance). I really DO need to remember to keep my hands close together (I keep trying to space them out really wide for some reason), but I was able to do one of my fraction-of-a-second holds by trying to point my feet at the ceiling. Also, I'm not sure why, but I keep holding my breath when I go inverted...that's gotta stop...
  • 3x5 HSPU negatives: OK...still not getting quite to 90 degrees before my feet come down, but I'm trying to do them more slowly.
  • Bench press:
    1x5, 30#
    3x5, 50#
  • Shoulder press:
    1x5, 20#
    Skipping the work sets...this is triggering some sort of odd pain in my left shoulder.
  • One-arm row:
    1x5, 10#
    3x5, 30#

I'm beginning to wonder whether I'm doing too much pushing and not enough pulling exercises. The recent addition of the deadlift to my Workout B schedule might help, but I'm not sure whether it's enough. My muscles feel like they're getting all mismatchy. I may keep going for another couple weeks with the schedule the way it is now (or rather, the way it should be), and see how it goes. If things don't feel like they're getting better, maybe add some sort of lever thing...I don't really want to subtract anything else...

Injury note: Muscles in my left shoulder feel off...possibly due to a bad crash landing I remember from Saturday night handstands. This is the shoulder that has chronic issues with joint alignment, so that may be a factor.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 10:04:07 PM by TraceuseDS »

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #195 on: March 02, 2009, 06:35:02 PM »
Focusing too much on push can cause pain like that in your shoulder...

Why aren't you doing pullups or front lever progression?

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 02, 2009, 08:15:10 PM »
Well, except for last week, which had an abnormally high amount of rest days, I have been working on pullups. For lack of a better plan, I've been doing a Workout A/Workout B type of thing, alternating between the two:

Workout A
Rolls
Handstand stuff
HSPU negatives
Bench press
Shoulder press
Row
Workout B
Rolls
Planche stuff
Pullup negatives (actually, lately these have been jumping pullups, each followed by a negative)
Squat
Deadlift
Lunges

Basically tried to choose stuff I thought would help with my goals, then split it into two days and arranged it in (I think) the right order.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 10:14:55 PM by TraceuseDS »

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 03, 2009, 04:57:59 PM »
March 3, 2009:
  • 10 rolls, right: Standing to standing. The big pitfall here is making sure my knee doesn't hit the ground too hard.
  • 10 rolls, left: Almost goal achieved. If I hadn't tapped my head on the ground once or twice, I'd count it.
  • Tuck planche attempts, assisted: Managed to get my feet up off the ground and pointed behind me for - possibly - a second. This happened twice; other than that, standard picking toes up and setting them down again. I do need to make sure I'm not hyperextending my elbows when I do this with the assist.
  • Pullup stuff: 3x5 Jumping pullup + negative

Aaand I have to go to orchestra. I'll do the rest when I get back.

----------------------------------

I'm back! On we go...
  • Squats:
    1x5, 20#
    2x5, 45# Yep, definitely need a squat rack. This is becoming hazardous/a hassle trying to get the bar in place. Time to join a gym...
  • Deadlift
    4x5, 20#
  • Lunges:
    1x10, 20#
    3x10, 30# Stuck at this weight b/c I don't have enough plates to balance 2 DBs.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 09:21:56 PM by TraceuseDS »

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 05, 2009, 09:28:59 PM »
March 4, 2009:
Rest day. I messed around with the pullup bar a bit, trying to do a lever...I'm trying to figure out where this would even GO if I put it into my routine. I'm tempted to ditch the row and substitute lever work instead, since the latter interests me more, but that still leaves me with the problem of having 5 push and 3 pull exercises (if you count the DL, which I'm not sure I should) over the 2 days.

March 5, 2009:
I'm beginning to remember how much harder it is to have a consistent exercise routine when one has a full-time job. Didn't get home until almost 10 (I teach ESL in the evenings on Thursdays), so I'm going to cut down the number of sets on just about everything today in order to get done at a semi-decent hour.

• 10 rolls, right: Standing to standing. Wasn't focused.
  • 10 rolls, left: Also unfocused.
  • Handstand work: A few minutes. Actually did this w/o dragging the couch cushions all over my living room this time. Go, me!
  • 1x5 HSPU negatives: Just tried to keep these as slow as possible, since I wasn't doing as many.
  • Bench press:
    1x5, 30#
    2x5, 52.5# And that's all the weight plates I own. Might be able to add another pound or so if I put on all the little spinlocks from my DBs...
  • Shoulder press:
    1x5, 20#
    2x5, 30# Keeping this light b/c, while the exercise itself doesn't hurt this time, I've been feeling occasional odd little pains in my left shoulder as I go about my day.
  • One-arm row:
    2x5, 10# Didn't even bother doing the work sets. Cuz I'm tired and I want to go to bed.

Good night.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #199 on: March 06, 2009, 09:09:54 AM »
I think you got too much on your plate.

Pick 2 Pushing Goals, 2 Pulling goals and 2 Posterior Chain Goals.  Then develop a plan of action.  You're working backwards and overwhelming yourself in more ways than 1.