Author Topic: Vagabonding -Patrick's Training Log-  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Vagabond

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Vagabonding -Patrick's Training Log-
« on: September 16, 2011, 02:04:07 AM »
Preface
So far I stand as a mere novice in parkour.  I am able to do vaults, basic gaps, I can precision, but not onto rails yet, and other than a couple of flashy kicks and a Sketch front hand spring I have no acrobatic talents.  My flexibility is decent as I practice Shotokan Karate-Do and Judo.  I weigh 177.6 Lbs which is the lightest I have weighed in a long time.

As for basic strength I can knock out 57 Push ups in a minute, perform 12 consecutive proper form Pull ups, and I I have a fairly strong abdomen.  My legs are also powerful, and I can run a 7:45 mile, and run 3 miles last time I tried (1 year ago).  My main emphasis in Cardio is Sprinting however.

Parkour
Today I went for a 20 minute parkour run on my lunch break around 2 A.M.  I felt it was a fairly productive venture.  I was able to land a move I have been trying to get for a week now, a lazy vault over a rail (Sternum level) to precision on a parking block that is about 4 feet away.  Surprisingly I only failed once, after that I landed it each time I tried it (about 5 times).  I also did a lot of work on my precisions for gaps and dropping.

I did however realize that I need a lot of work on my wall runs.  This is a hit or miss movement for me.  I know I have poor foot placement for sure, but I can't shake the feeling that I am doing something else wrong, I just don't know exactly what it is yet.  I also need to make my cats tighter (keep my feet together when I leap).  As for my vaults they are pretty decent at this time, I do need to work on my placement.  I feel I put a little too much weight on my hands which slows me down and impedes my flow.  So far the only vault entirely eluding me is... the Kong/Monkey.

Fitness
L-sits (2x10 seconds X3), Assisted HSPU (3x5), Pseudo Push ups (3x20), Full Dips (3x5), Bent Frog Stand (6x10 seconds), and a little light dynamic movements with some 15 lbs dumb bells.
Always Learn, Always Train
http://norcalparkour.webs.com/

Offline Vagabond

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Vagabonding -Patrick's Training Log-
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 09:35:55 PM »
Preface
I have been sick that last two weekends which has greatly  impacted my strength training on a negative level.  Fortunately I seem to not only be on the mend, but reinvigorated.  I have kept up with my typical Shotokan training, and have implemented some morning technique routines using my heavy bag, and of course lots of Kata.  Today was the first time in three weeks that I have made it to gymnastics.  Needless to say I had goals, and energy to burn.

Gymnastics
The floor was not packed with cheerleaders like the last time I went there.  This time there was only 5 or so of them, most of them still inconsiderate of all other sentient life form present however.  I started practicing my front tuck into the pad pit.  I was landing it most of the time, taking it easy just trying to get back into the swing of things.  After about ten attempts someone came a long wanting to share the pit with me, so of course I was more than happy to do so.  Then along comes a cheerleader and sets up a spring board and moves my extra pad (placed there to lessen the drop and make the pit level with the floor).  Instead of getting upset I moved onto the floor.  I started drilling the front tuck, but unfortunately to no avail.  There were some large improvements however.  Usually when I biffed the technique last time I would land on my tail bone or back.  This time I would land on my feet, unfortunately still in a tucked or semi-tucked position.  After I found my little niche (even though the cheerleaders soon took over the floor as well as the pit) I managed to attempt 27 front tucks in a little less than an hour.  Exactly 0 of these attempts were successful, but I came close a couple of times.  I suppose that is what I get for missing three sessions.

I plan to practice on my trampoline with as little bounce as possible.  Maybe I can try a few in the Dojo with our fall mat.  None the less I do feel I am getting more fluid with my form, still the technique feels fairly awkward.  Guess I will just have to grind it out.  Maybe some footage will help me analyze the situation.

Fitness
My fitness is still rather sporadic, but I did work in some handstands, Assisted HSPU (2x5), full dips (2x5), L-Sits (3x10 seconds), Pseudo Push ups (2x30), Jack-knifes (2x15), and some sporadic amount of situps during Shotokan.
I plan to actually engage in my regular routine tomorrow, I do not have class which means more time.  Also my flexibility work has been increasing steadily.
Always Learn, Always Train
http://norcalparkour.webs.com/