Author Topic: In need of companionship in ROANOKE haha  (Read 2222 times)

Offline Chris Kessler

• Mangabey
  • iJump
    • View Profile
In need of companionship in ROANOKE haha
« on: September 21, 2008, 05:53:50 PM »
So, I've come to realize that the Roanoke scene is basically..... me.... and only me. I'm trying to reach out on APK to find people in Roanoke who are maybe hiding in the woodwork. I've been training alone since my buddy left for college. I'm just tired of training alone.

So, if'n you're hiding from me  :-Sarcasm then you should stop it and come train!
"We don't stop playing because we grow up. We grow up because we stop playing."
-Tim "Livewire" Shieff

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
Re: In need of companionship in ROANOKE haha
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 06:17:50 PM »
You need to do more than just search on the internet to start a community up.  I don't know what you've been doing, or if there's a campus nearby.. but campuses are generally the best place to get that whole thing going.  If not, it takes.. well.. much more work.  Unfortuantely, it's not too much fun to be forced into a leadership position, and you get rewarded less than what you put in by far..  But communtiy is what makes Parkour so amazing, so it's worth every step of the process.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Chris Kessler

• Mangabey
  • iJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 06:25:27 PM »
I agree. And unfortunately, when I had a small group, I was that leader. I set everything up and some people would show up, most would just "forget" to come. I'm going to the community college here and I AM planning on starting a club there. I'm just trying to get situated in my classes first. I'm a little apprehensive about taking on that leadership role because I really wouldn't know how to run a club. Any advice?
-Tim "Livewire" Shieff

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 04:32:20 AM »
I really need to write on article on this...  It's been popping up everywhere!

Part of it is just getting regular training going in a dense location.  Over time, people will just gravitate toward it.  Part of that, though, is being a salesman.  You've no idea how many times I felt liek I was selling insurance when I was trying to get people into Parkour!  More than that, if you don't have a regular training location/time, a lot of the "lazier" people won't be able to keep up with when something is going on.  It's much easier to say, "Wednesday at 5" than to ask them to check a forum regularly.  This also means that you need to be creative enough to get the most out of one spot, every week, for pretty much the rest of your days.  And with regular training comes structure, because it falls apart if it's just goofing around for an hour.

Now, the next part is, again, being a salesman.  Setting up events that can net people in.  Once you have a small community, you can look to do youth workshops or anything that will raise public consciousness.  If you can find a gym, do whatever you can to get a gym slot.  Get the GYM to advertise for you.  And basically keep pushing it.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline 'Knox'

• Global Moderator
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 10:40:18 AM »
if you can drive come to tech or radford like once a week. i know you already know about VTPK so i dont have to talk about that anymore but if you would like to come to radford give me a call at 703-283-4268

Offline jacobwsl

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 02:02:12 PM »
well I'm in Lexington... and I have a group of four or five here... it's mostly just the three of us though. I don't know... maybe we could get together and have a sesh sometime.

Offline Nathan Coleman

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • I drew my pic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 08:12:57 PM »
Chris you know im always up for a jam!
Im always telling people about parkour in school im trying to get more people to come with us!
And ill be willing to help set up jams and stuff i know im not as talented as you but im willing to help!
The longest journey starts with a single step

Offline Chris Kessler

• Mangabey
  • iJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 07:26:10 AM »
Lol, Nathan buddy, I put this up months ago :P
-Tim "Livewire" Shieff