Author Topic: No limits, only plateaus - Eli's Training Journal  (Read 31606 times)

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
Re: No limits, only plateaus - Eli's Training Journal
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 08:42:08 PM »
9/25/08

Note: I'm switching my layout, because it's a time-consuming hassle to format those lists all the time.

Warmup
Body Squat - 20x2
Pushup - 15x2
Pullup - 6x2
Samson Stretch - 3 each side x2 Note: I've been forgetting to mention this exercise the whole time.

Workout
Squat
(45x5)x2 warmup
95x5 warmup
135x3 warmup
185x2 warmup
(225x5)x3

Press Note: After doing press tonight, I think the elbow discomfort I was talking about may have been related to inflexibility in my wrist.  I felt around my elbow to find the place where it was most tender, and it was one of the insertion points of my forearm muscles.  Could that be a flexibility thing?
(45x5)x2 warmup
65x5 warmup
75x3 warmup
85x2 warmup
(95x5)x5 Note: The last two reps were a great, big fight
85x4 Failed on last rep; psyched myself out

Deadlift
(115x5)x2 warmup
135x5 warmup
185x3 warmup
225x5 Note: the gym was closing as I was doing my sets, so I had to speed it up and skipped one of my warmups.  Pretty sure I could have done 235.

Stretching afterward for about 10 minutes.  My calves are really angry at me for running.  I told them to shut up.

Workout time: 00:45.  I had to push myself pretty hard at the end.

No QM today.  Get better!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 06:49:43 AM by Eli Kurtz »

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2008, 07:17:22 PM »
9/26/08 - Rest Day

9/27/08 - Rest Day

9/28/08

Today is traditionally my rest day, but because of family get togethers and school responsibilities I haven't been able to do anything for the past two days, and I was getting antsy.  I didn't do a whole lot to be honest.  I went to a park nearby and climbed a huge, awesome tree.  In all seriousness it looks like something out of Fern Gully.  This thing is gigantic and knotted; it has swallowed  steel stakes, and it will do so again.  I got about 3/4 of the way up the tree, but I was exploring more than pushing myself, so I wouldn't consider it a workout.

What definitely was a workout was running.  As I may have mentioned, my girlfriend and I are going to try out for the new track program at my college this semester, and the deal is that I'm going to run with her if she will lift with me.  :P  I know one of my goals is to be able to run two miles without stopping, and after today I think that goal is not too far off.  I've never been able to complete a mile before, with the last time I tried being about four years ago.  I didn't really realize how much my cardio and endurance has improved since then, because I was able to run a mile today without nearly as much hassle.  I was still pretty exhausted by the time I finished, but I felt like I could have gone on for another half mile before doubling over on the road.  Honestly, I felt kind of like a baby for complaining so much about it before.

Mile time: 9:10.

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2008, 09:13:07 PM »
9/29/08

Not much of a workout today, either.  I was pretty busy and only had an hour I could set aside for conditioning, but I was going to make it work.

Warmup
Climbed a tree and monkeyed around a little, approx. 5 minutes
Body Squat - 15
Pushup - 10

Workout
Sidle along top of wall, hanging from hands - 10ft. x3
Dips from the top of a wall - 10x3

Cooldown
Stretching - 15 minutes.

My intention was to go back into the dorm to work on pull ups, rolls on harder surfaces (concrete with thin carpet), L-sits, and Handstands, but I'm a Resident Assistant and there was a situation that I had to take care of.

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 02:08:41 PM »
9/30/08

Great workout today.  Not perfect, but really good.

Warmup
Body Squat - 20x2
Push up - 15x2
Pull Up - 7x2
Samson Stretch - 5x2 (each side)

Workout
Squat:
(45x5)x2
95x5
135x3
185x2
-------
(225x5)x3

Bench Press:
(20sx5)x2
30sx5
45sx3
55sx2
-------
(65x5)x3 Note: Failed on the last rep again!  I might be psyching myself out here.

Deadlift:
(115x5)x2
135x5
185x3
205x2
-------
235x5 Note: Felt really good about this.  I'm almost positive I can get at least 255.

Press:
(45x5)x2
65x5
75x3
85x2
-------
(95x5)x3 Note: This felt really easy.  I feel awesome.

Cooldown
Stretching for 10 minutes.

Total workout time: 1:45 hours
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 02:16:28 PM by Eli Kurtz »

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 08:57:42 PM »
10/1/08

Ahh, October.  The month of my birth.  The first full month of Fall (which is when we learn to pick ourselves back up).  What a great time to be alive.

My training today came in two parts.  During the afternoon I was surprised to find that my science class would be taking a field trip to a local park for some "nature therapy."  I just got my Merrell Maipo shoes in the mail today, and I was anxious to try them out on the fallen trees, streams, etc. that I heard were there.  I was not disappointed.  Throughout the course of three hours, I walked (mostly), jogged a little, balanced on some fallen trees to cross streams, jumped, ran, climbed... it was light Methode Naturelle Jr., and it was wonderful.  I almost ran into some truly prodigious spiders, I saw a baby copperhead, and a few hours afterward my hamstrings were unexpectedly sore.

I had intended to do some parkour drilling outside tonight, but a) I was already tired/sore, and b) it's pretty cold out at the moment.  Instead, I decided to do some stuff indoors that I had been meaning to do for quite some time:

Warmup
Body Squat - 3x20
Pushup - 3x15

Workout
Rolls from squatting position - 10x2 each side.  Note: I'll be damned if I don't keep hitting my iliac crest when I come out of a roll.  There are those rare times when it feels completely smooth as I'm rolling more over the side of my hip, but about 70% of the time I keep hitting my hip bone.  Get better.
Pull ups - 5repsx4sets  I've found a nice little ledge in the stairwell near my door.  It's just at fingertip length, and it's a perfect place to practice pull ups the way I'll more than likely have to do them in the real world (i.e. without a bar).  Here I focused on exploding up into position, then working the negative motion as controlled as possible.  It was pretty tough, but is this useful?  I'm shooting for 10 muscle-ups as a goal, so I figure explosiveness and overall strength are important.

Cooldown
Stretching for 30 minutes.  I've been stretch almost every day for the past two weeks, following Muse_of_Fire's suggested routine, but I haven't begun to notice any increase in flexibility.  My plan is to go with it for another week, and if I don't notice improvement I'll see what I can do.  A physical therapist who helped me through a horrible back problem I had once said that some people just can't hold onto flexibility.  He said he could "stretch into the splits every night for a year" but he'd be just as rigid the next morning.  Is that in any way possible?  Do I suffer from terminal inflexibility?

Total time: 1:30 hours.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 09:01:57 PM by Eli Kurtz »

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2008, 03:42:28 PM »
10/2/08

Warmup
Body Squat - 20x2
Push up - 15x2
Pull up - 6x2
Samson Stretch - 4 each side x2

Workout
Squat:
(45x5)x2
135x5
185x3
215x2
-------
(235x5)x3 - New PR  Note: Turns out, everytime I've recorded "185" during my squat workouts (but not deadlift), I was actually lifting 215.  Silly addition.

Bench Press:
(20s x5)x2
30s x5
40sx3
50x2
-------
(65x5)x3 - Definitely new PR  Note: Finally!  I think using lower WU weights helped out, but it just feels good to get it done.

Deadlift:
(135x2)x5
185x5
205x3
225x2
-------
245x5 - New PR  Note: I had to take about ten seconds between reps 4 and 5 to adjust my grip.  I had already supinated one hand, and I thought about reversing the hand positions, but changed my mind.

Press:
(45x5)x2
65x5
75x3
85x2
-------
100x5
100x3 - Failed on third rep
85x4 - Failed on fourth rep Note: Today wasn't a good day for press.  Last time felt perfect, today I felt sort of weak, then I ended up psyching myself out.

Cooldown
Stretching for 15 minutes

Total Workout Time: 2:00 hours

Next week I'm going to have to try to find time for lifting in my super busy MWF schedule.  I'm starting track evaluations on T-R next week (my usual lifting time), and I don't want to be the least bit fatigued for this.

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2008, 04:33:50 PM »
10/3/08

Today I didn't know that I was going to be able to do any training, etc. due to a pretty busy schedule.  Usually I can manage to train at night, but tonight I'm going to First Friday Art Walk here in town with my family, so that's out.  Luckily, this week has been Fall Fest at my school, and today's theme was American Gladiator.  Bob Barker has been a pretty big deal around campus lately (he's an alum of Drury and we named a street after him last Friday  ::)), so Fall Fest was themed around TV shows.  Anyway, they had this cool guy, an inflatable American Gladiator "Q-Tip Battle" arena, and one of those really easy climbing walls that unloads from a trailer.

Anyway, I had a blast spending about two hours out there doing all sorts of "twelve year old" parkour.  For the first hour or so I got a feel for all the inflatables by going through the course 2-3 times, then backtracking through the course 2-3 times (that final slide in the middle is so much fun to run up, then jump over).  The wall was no real challenge, it was just a nice opportunity to work on speed climbing, climbing without footholds, etc.

After the first hour Chad, a friend and fellow traceur, showed up, and we had a competition: once through the obstacle course (I won), then best 2-3 in the q-tip arena (he won), then best 2-3 on the wall (I won, and I've never climbed anything faster in my life  8)), then backtracking through the obstacle course again (I won, but it was closer).  That was a big awesome time, then I toyed around with the events for a little longer before Sean, another fellow traceur, showed up.  We did the same thing, and he actually beat me in the obstacle course, and in the q-tip arena, but he climbed the wall without me.

Eventually, a lot more people showed up, and we all hanged around the q-tip arena while some people did a little tricking.  Two or three people were old gymnasts, and they got everybody else excited about backflips, etc.  I tried a backflip for the first time in my life, and I landed on my hands and knees, but people said I was getting a lot of air.  It's not really something I intend to work on, but I suppose all I have to do is tuck more and I'll have it.

Total workout time: 0:45, breaks taken into the equation.

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2008, 03:54:21 PM »
10/4/08

Weekly Springfield Jam today.  It was really nice to get back since I wasn't able to come last week.  I showed up a little later than the first group of people, so I did an abbreviated warmup to catch up.

Warmup:
Bike 1 mile to the jam
Pushup x15
Body Squat x20
Pushup x15
Body Squat x20
QM - 10m x4 - Lizard, Cat, Rabbit, and "Gorilla Gallop"

Workout:
Rolls - 10 on non-dominant side
Speed vault progression - 10:00 min
Precision Jumps in varied environment (distances between 5'-7', height differences between -3" and +3")
Kong Vault progression - 10:00 min
Cat Leap - 5:00 min
Lazy vault progression - 5:00 min
Misc. climbing - 2:00 min

Cooldown:
Stretch - 15:00 min
Bike 1 mile back home

Total workout time: 3:00 hours

Most of the jam was spent teaching a few new people of the basics.  We worked on landing and rolling a lot, then I began to introduce them to the speed and lazy vaults.  Someone else started to teach them how to kong, and since I didn't want them to hurt themselves I stepped in and made sure they were doing everything right.  It wasn't so much a skill-training workout for me today, and more of a light endurance exercise, as I was demonstrating things almost nonstop for the duration of the jam.  Note: Looks like I'm going to need to make sure to train skills on my own during the week, because I may not have much opportunity during the jams.

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2008, 01:34:50 PM »
10/5/08

Officially, today was a rest day.  That being said, I went to the gym to work on power clean, being coached by a friend who does power clean.  I would have preferred to practice the movement on a day other than my rest day, but we're both really busy and today was the only day that worked out.

Warm up

Workout

Pull-up progression
3 pull-ups with emphasis on a slow, negative movement.
5 pull-ups with emphasis on a slow, negative movement. Note: I noticed that the hardcore pectoral muscle soreness from the past few days (I forgot to log it), was noticeable when I doing the negative movement.  I would assume that means that the source of the soreness is my negative pull-up workout from 10/1/08.  Is it normal to experience pectoral soreness from pull-ups, or am I doing something wrong?

Power Clean
(45x5)x3
At this time, my friend showed up and looked at my form.  I didn't expect him to be able to quote SS for me, but I used the comments he was giving me (and the mirror that was right in front of me... I know, bad  ::)) to figure out how I was out of line with SS, and how to bring myself closer to the ideal.
(45x3)x3
95x5
115x5 Note:  This was at my friend's insistence, because I was having a really easy time with the snatch at the lighter weights.  This felt like a little bit of a strain, but I could have probably done more weight.

Cooldown
Stretching  - 15:00 min

I'm feeling antsy tonight.  I might practice head/handstands in my hallway, and L-sits in my room.

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2008, 09:32:15 PM »
10/6/08

Today my traps have a lot of healthy soreness from practicing the power clean yesterday.  :)  Now that I know the power clean, I'm going to switch to the explicitly-mentioned training schedule in SS: Squat, Bench, and Deadlift on one day, and Squat, Press, and Power Clean on another.  This week I'm going to be lifting MWF, but my usual schedule will probably continue to be just T-R.  I'll have to see how I feel about adding weight training to my already packed MWF schedule, then make a decision.

Also, today was a horrible day for me.  I had an ugly wake-up call in one of my classes, I'm going through a bit of an existential crisis, I've been feeling congested, and I slept away most of my afternoon (which I usually hate).  Working out was really nice and therapeutic.  As an extra post-workout pick-me-up, I decided to take my measurements when I got back to my room.  I used to lift for aesthetic purposes, because I wanted to look pretty awesome.  I don't care about that as much as I care about practical strength anymore, but back then I stumbled upon a Grecian Ideal calculator, and decided to revisit that today.  As it turns out (given my 7" wrist diameter), the only things that are out of line are my chest (it needs to grow about 6 inches) and my arms (forearms=2" under, upper arm=3" under).  Previously I had a good deal more work to do, so it was a nice opportunity to see how much "bigger" I've gotten over the past year.

Warmup
Body Squat - 20x2
Push Up - 15x2
Pull Up - 6x2

Workout
Squat:
(45x5)x3
135x5
185x3
225x2
-------
(245x5)x3 - new PR (1.4x BW).  Note:  Wow.  Maybe the hardest squat has ever been for me.  My legs (esp. quads) were still feeling it 15 minutes later in the middle of my bench press.

Bench Press:
(20x5)x3
30x5
45x3
55x2
-------
(65x5)x3 Note:  I don't know how I feel about switching from dumbbells to barbell this far into my training, but you can control the amount of weight added much more precisely with barbell bench.  I think the plan right now is to work one target weight every week, and fiddle with the warmup weights to get less/more total weight lifted throughout all sets.  Hopefully that will continue to push me adequately?

Deadlift:
(135x5)x2
185x5
215x3
225x2
-------
255x5 - New PR (1.5x BW)  Note: This felt challenging, but I think my 5RM is probably around 270 at this point.  We'll find out Friday (Maybe up to 275-280 by then?).

Jumping Muscle Ups - 4 Note: When I jump it's not too much of a challenge to hoist myself all the way through the motion, though I have to bring one arm up into the dip position at the time.  Also, I'm doing a slow negative movement here to build more strength, and I find that during the transition from my lowest dip position (with my chest touching the pull up bar), to my highest pull up position I have almost 0 control.  I guess I should just keep working on it?

Cooldown
Stretching: 15:00 minutes

Total Workout Time: 1:45 hours.

P.S. - My goals on my first post have been updated.

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2008, 07:36:16 PM »
10/7/08

Today was day 1 of 4 of track evaluations.  I had to get a physical at 2:30, and I was pretty pressed for time since evaluations started at 3:30.

Warmup
Body Squat - 20

Workout (Note: all are best out of 3 attempts)
Standing Vertical Jump - 25"
Standing Broad Jump - 8'5"
Standing Triple Jump - 24'4"

1 "Wheel" Note: on a standard track, run 100 meters, walk back 50 meters.  Repeat 7 times.

Cooldown
Walk 100m
Jog 150m
Walk 50m
Jog 100m

Stretch - 10 minutes

Total workout time: 1:30 hours

I had intended to do the APK WOD today (20:00 min handstand/planche progressions), but I decided to watch the presidential debate instead.  Kind of wish I would have done the WOD.  Also, I may be getting into a little bit of a fever.  >:(  Orange juice and sleep are both in my future.

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2008, 08:12:11 PM »
10/08/08

My legs are tired from evaluations yesterday.  My knees are a little sore at the top, like right where the quads insert at the kneecap.  I have a sneaking suspicion that this may be bad.

Warmup
Body Squat - 20x2
Pushup - 15x2
Pull up - 7x2
Samson Stretch - 4x2 (each side)

Workout
Squat:
(45x5)x2
135x5
185x3
215x2
-------
(245x5)x3  Note: Again, this was very hard.  I noticed that towards the last 2 reps of the last set I wasn't squatting as deep as I ought to.

Press:
(45x2)x2
65x5
70x3
90x2
-------
(100x5)x3  Note:  Felt good about this, though I used my legs a little more than I usually do.

Power Clean:
(45x5)x3
65x5
70x3
95x2
-------
105x3 Note: Failure!  I need to practice this movement at lower weight for at least three more workouts before I start to use it as a strength exercise (do it after the rest of my workouts, no matter what).  I'm using my arms way too much.

Cooldown
Rolls 5x2 each side from a crouching position.  Note: This was on the floor of my dorm hallway, which is concrete covered by thin carpet.  As a whole, I felt better about these rolls than I did about previous training, but I can still feel a little impact on my iliac crest.
Stretch - 15 minutes

Total Workout Time: 1:30 hours.  Note: I've got it down so that my warmup and cooldown take 15:00 min., which makes my workout just about 1 hour.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 08:21:49 AM by Eli Kurtz »

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2008, 10:55:07 AM »
245 squats with 105 P.Cleans?

I would put my savings down that your P. Clean form is awful.  Your hip extension is plenty strong.

Hard to explain how to clean over the internet...i suggest checking out x-fit for videos...

The steps are as follows:
1) Stance - Put your feet such that your shins are ~1 inch or less from the bar.
2) Grip - WITHOUT MOVING THE BAR, reach down and grab it with a hook grip.
3) Shins - WITHOUT MOVING THE BAR OR YOUR FEET, let your shins meet the bar
4) Chest - Lift your chest up, tighten your WHOLE BACK and ARMS
5) Pull (Slow) - Pull the bar up over your knees, slowly at first while you learn form
6) Torso - Make your torso go a bit more vertical
7) Explode (Fast) - When the bar passes your knees, with a vertical torso, EXPLODE your hips and SHRUG your shoulders violently upward
8) Catch - Throw your body under the bar into a quarter squat while simultaneously THROWING your elbows out -- good cue is HUMERUS OUT so that its parallel to the ground.
9) Stand up.

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2008, 11:01:35 AM »
Thanks for the tip, Chris.  I've looked at a few of the x-fit videos, as well as reading SS a few times and even working on it with a friend that does power clean.  When I worked with him I more or less listened to what he said to figure out how I was out of line with SS (since he's never read it), and "re-align" with SS regardless of the advice he was giving me.

Those steps will be helpful, but I pretty much had them down.  Getting into the starting position is the same as with deadlift, only with a hook grip, right?  Actually, it's pretty much identical to deadlift until you explode when the bar comes over the knees, right?

My problem last night was that I was using my arms too much, and also I wasn't focusing like I needed to be.  My plan is to work on form with lighter weight during every workout, and then only do the movement for weight once per week.  I won't be doing it for weight until next Wednesday, so that will give me Friday and Monday (with the possibility of squeezing another day in just to work on form) to really hammer things out.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2008, 11:07:36 AM »
Thanks for the tip, Chris.  I've looked at a few of the x-fit videos, as well as reading SS a few times and even working on it with a friend that does power clean.  When I worked with him I more or less listened to what he said to figure out how I was out of line with SS (since he's never read it), and "re-align" with SS regardless of the advice he was giving me.

Those steps will be helpful, but I pretty much had them down.  Getting into the starting position is the same as with deadlift, only with a hook grip, right?  Actually, it's pretty much identical to deadlift until you explode when the bar comes over the knees, right?

My problem last night was that I was using my arms too much, and also I wasn't focusing like I needed to be.  My plan is to work on form with lighter weight during every workout, and then only do the movement for weight once per week.  I won't be doing it for weight until next Wednesday, so that will give me Friday and Monday (with the possibility of squeezing another day in just to work on form) to really hammer things out.

The SS clean differs from the O-lifting clean.  Its something you become more aware of as you learn how to clean properly.  I still do the SS clean and have gotten quite strong with it.  There are som minor differences in a "proper" O-lifting clean but the SS clean is the best way to start, imho.

The SS clean IS identical to the deadlift.  The deadlift in the SS clean gets you to the knees then step6 in my list where we straighten the torso gets you to the hang clean position.  From there its just a hang clean.

The hardest thing to learn is to SHRUG the weight up so it floats and goes weightless.  If the bar doesn't FLOAT then you aren't cleaning anything, you are curling.

A good way to practice the shrug is to take a medicine ball of 45# plate standing on its edge.  Do the clean pull so that the ball/plate goes weightless and pops up without your bending your arms.  A good clean shrug will have the 45# plate/medicine ball fly upwards without turning at all OR without having the laces of the ball rotate at all.

From there it is just being more violent with the shrug, doing it with a bar, and getting under the damn thing :)

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2008, 02:37:14 PM »
10/09/08

Day 2 of 4 for Track Evaluations.  Today was 60m and 150m sprints.

Warmup
Body Squat: 20
Light Stretching
100m accelerations - x2
200m jog
Light Stretching

Workout
60m Sprint: 7.92 secs
150m Sprint: 19.3 secs

Cooldown
Stretch - 5 min.
Rolls - 5x each side from a crouch

Later tonight I am going to do practice parkour with a friend at a local park, expect another update.

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2008, 05:02:22 PM »
So I've pulled a muscle in my back.  More specifically, I think I've pulled both of my trapezius muscles near where they insert in the middle of my back.  I felt sore and a little bit worse than sore this morning after my workout last night, but I didn't notice much of a change throughout the day.  After evaluations this afternoon I was feeling it just a little bit more, and it really hit me when I went to do parkour this evening.

I was really excited because a friend who does parkour here at college decided to take me on a run he does around campus.  It's really good, practical training for parkour (i.e. you're going to be running a lot more than anything else), but after the first few vaults I noticed my back was feeling a lot worse.  Like a fool I kept on pushing, and soon it was hard for me to move without stabbing pain in my back.

Now I'm here in my dorm room, feeling really sharp pains no matter how slightly I move.  Many times it's hard to breathe because of these pains.  I've got ice on my back right now, and the plan is to do as little activity as possible tonight.  I think I also plan on not working out tomorrow, and depending on how I feel I may not do anything at the weekly jam on Saturday, which would completely suck.  I need to be completely better by Tuesday at the latest, for the next day of track evaluations.

Any advice?

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2008, 06:24:29 PM »
sadly for you, i suck at injury advice -- ask steve or ken :P

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2008, 08:11:56 PM »
10/10/08 - Rest Day 1 of 3

My back pain was easily twice as bad as it was last night, and I decided I had to do something about it.  I remembered that it felt almost identical to a time a few months ago when my lower back relapsed into its former state of awfulness, so I decided to try and get into a chiropractor today, or risk letting the possibly maligned joints get a chance to settle in their position.

I scheduled an appointment with a guy I had never heard of, but he was the only guy I could get ahold of on such short notice (it was 2:45 this afternoon).  I also have never needed a chiropractor anywhere but in my hometown, so I figured it wouldn't be a horrible idea to try out someone here in case I end up living here after college.

As it turns out, I really enjoyed this visit.  The chiropractor felt around on my back (which is something my old chiropractor never really did) and determined that in addition to some minor slippage here and there, the thing that was causing all the pain was a rib that had come out of place.  He righted me six ways from Sunday and told me to take it easy for the next couple of days.  He also said that the muscles in my back were probably strained a little, and I assume they are strained from trying to keep that rib from doing anything worse for such a long time.

Something is leading me to believe that I need to work on my kong form over rails.  The last time my back relapsed was when I was practicing the upward jump at the beginning of a kong (to get the body parallel with the ground), and this time the closest I can hone in on when it started to hurt really badly was when I tried a kong over a rail.  I think it's such a psychological thing for me to bring my feet up over a rail (I'm always terrified that I'm going to hook my feet on the rail and faceplant at least a few feet below) that I tense up and my form falls apart.  One of the things I notice especially is that I tend to grip the bar instead of using it to push off of and away from, which I think causes me to compress my body too much too fast, hence things popping out of place.  When I get better (i.e. hopefully by Tuesday, we'll have to see) I'll have to gently toy around with this and find out where the problem lies.

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2008, 09:40:05 PM »
10/11/08 - Rest Day 2 of 3.  Today was also the Springfield Weekly Jam, and I couldn't help but jump around on some of the obstacles.  To my credit, I didn't do anything that wasn't a short precision, or any more harmful than skipping a few steps on the stairs.

10/12/08 - Rest Day 3 of 3.

10/13/08

I think my back muscles are almost back to 100% from being strained last Thursday, but I'm feeling a little joint pain in my spine, especially when I slouch a little at the computer.  Could this be a bruised bone that will just take a little while longer to heal, or is it a possibly more serious problem?  Come to think of it, are "bone bruises" a legitimate injury?  My mom always used to tell me that I might get them from more serious spills as a kid, and I never thought to question her.

So those three days of rest were killing me.  I wanted to take it as easy as possible to insure a quick recovery, but I was about to kill myself.  Today I'm still feeling a little joint pain like I said, so I didn't lift (ugh, I'm going to fall back in my progress...), but I went running instead.  Tonight I ran 1.5 miles in about 15 minutes (I forgot to time).  To be honest, at this point I'm still concerned about completing the runs at all, and not so much worried about how fast I complete them.  When I accomplish my goal of running two miles non-stop (which may be in the next week), I'll switch things around and start to shave down my mile time.

Tomorrow is day 3 of 4 for track evaluations, and we're doing the 300m sprint.  If we feel up to it, we may also do the 600m run.  Hoo boy  :-\.