Author Topic: 2009 Jam Schedule  (Read 7444 times)

Offline Tony - Shinobi TXPK/EPPK

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • El Paso Parkour
2009 Jam Schedule
« on: September 18, 2008, 11:27:15 AM »
Whats going on ladies and gents!

I wanted to find out if it would be possible for those of you planning jams/workshops for 2009 to post proposed dates.  For some of us, it's extremely difficult, if not impossible, to get the time off if we find out a couple of months ahead of time.  As a firefighter, I have to submit my leave for the entire year (2009) on December 15th of this year.  This will help in plotting out who wants what dates so traceurs don't have to decide between jams.  It will also help people save money earlier, get plane tickets cheaper, and make travel arrangements easier.
Obviously jams aren't always going to be plotted out a year in advance, but I figure if conventions and other workshops are handled like this, maybe some of us can do it too.

Thanks
Tony
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 06:30:05 PM by ShinobiFoF »
Check on the rep, yep, second to none!

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
Re: 2009 Jam Schedule
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 01:43:58 PM »
You know, this is a great idea. It got me thinking, there are a couple of jams that are "always" on certain weekends (e.g. Beast Coast is always on Memorial Day weekend). I also know that, for instance Chicago tends to be in July, Colorado tends to be in August, etc.

Perhaps it might be a good idea, as a community, to establish some firmer norms around these tendencies, to help you out with scheduling, Tony (and also to help people plan their time and funds for the summer jam schedule). If there are communities out there that do a big jam every year, perhaps we should set up some "static" dates around when those jams have been traditionally held in the past.

I know the Midwest Jam seems like it's sort of on a "rotation" between Chicago, Madison, and Minneapolis. The Minne guys have already stepped up to host the Midwest Jam in 09, and I know that there was a large jam in Chicago this year as well, in addition to the Madison Midwest Jam, so as a region we'll have to figure that out, but if we always had the Midwest Jam on, say, the third weekend in July, people could plan their summer jam attendance more easily.

I guess the next step, if people are into this, is for us to get a list of what communities traditionally host large jams, and when those usually tend to happen (or if there are communities willing to host a jam in summer of 09, for them to add themselves to the list). Off the top of my head I can think of (in no particular order):

Beast Coast
TXPK
Chicago
PK Horizons
COPK
SFPK
Ann Arbor
NEPK (or is this part of Beast Coast? I've never gone so I'm not sure how it works)
...who am I forgetting?

What do you guys think? We can always be flexible and change things but Tony makes a good point. Plus the more parkour builds in popularity, the more jams we will have and the harder it will be to keep everything straight.

Just my suggestion.
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 02:28:20 PM »
i agree...better sooner rather than later...

i propose COPK to be first weekend in august again ... Aug 7-10 , 2009.

Offline Tony - Shinobi TXPK/EPPK

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • El Paso Parkour
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 08:03:44 AM »
What is "Otakon"?
Thanks muse!  Exactly what I mean.  It shouldn't be difficult to claim some days... especially since most of them are already established.  I'm mainly asking so I don't ask for those usual days and get a suprise when they are moved a week before or after, then I'd be screwed.
Check on the rep, yep, second to none!

Offline Andrew 'Syn' Obenreder

• Patas
  • MOVE | FLOW | LIVE
    • View Profile
    • Team Sanjuu
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 04:24:47 PM »
PKFR International's jam will be held sometime in June as far as I know. No set date is confirmed but it is usually the 2nd or 3rd weekend in June.  As for location, it was held in Pittsburgh, PA this year and will either be held in PA, FL, NY, or CA this year. I'm not sure on what the rest of the team has decided yet

*UPDATE*
It will be held either before or after PK USA as we will be there.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 09:15:18 AM by Andrew Obenreder (syn)™ »
"Our goal isn't for it to be spectacular, to show off, or to gain respect. We merely do this for self gain and to help each other grow mentally and physically, to break our limits, and to be able to flow; just as the water does."

Team Sanjuu

Worldwide Movement Association

Offline Andy l

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 06:59:43 PM »
Every Memorial Day we Have a Jam in Ohio, It's been in Toledo, Cleveland, Columbus ,and Cincinnati. I think we've run out of big cities to host and will probably start a rotation this year unless someone in the eastern half of the state wants to host. 
 but that jam has been on that weekend 4 years running.
The obstacle is the path

Offline Sabataw

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 07:39:26 PM »
Every Memorial Day we Have a Jam in Ohio, It's been in Toledo, Cleveland, Columbus ,and Cincinnati. I think we've run out of big cities to host and will probably start a rotation this year unless someone in the eastern half of the state wants to host. 
 but that jam has been on that weekend 4 years running.

I think I might actually be able to go to that.  How many people usually attend?

Offline Mike "Pyro" Araujo

• Mangabey
  • Pyro4pk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 01:48:03 AM »
PKNY which i think is usually in june.

Offline Zack Bedingfield

• Mangabey
  • iamgustav
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 03:01:42 PM »
i agree...better sooner rather than later...

i propose COPK to be first weekend in august again ... Aug 7-10 , 2009.

I'd love to push it back to maybe the last weekend in august, giving everybody going to CU a chance to get back in time.
“You do freerunning or parkour, I don’t know, but both are the same. Some people are worried about it, but they are people that don’t train for too long, people that…in terms of training, aren’t mature yet. […] One day I’d like to wake up, open my window, and everyones doing parkour." -Ali Shelton

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Proud Founder of S.U.T.S.
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 11:44:10 PM »
This past June Philadelphia had their jam right at the beginning of the month, around the 3rd or 4th I think. I would think there'd be another one at the same time next June.

Offline Cliff Springer

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 03:59:08 PM »
No jams in Nebraska  :'(
someone should host one :D

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 05:03:30 PM »
I'd like PKNY to be somewhere towards the end of June
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through

Offline mospunk

• Patas
  • Matt M.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 08:51:20 PM »
I need to discuss more with the MN community, but we were talking the first half of June for the Midwest Jam this year.  I'll get you dates as soon as possible. 

Train safe, play hard, and dream of flight.

Offline Skinny

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Owner of Fight or Flight Academy in Edina MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 09:07:35 AM »
Yay Muse!  Thanks for pointing out that Minneapolis is going to host the Midwest Jam this year instead of stealing it! :P  Only kidding, last year was a blast and probably better than anything we were prepared to host.  But we are currently in the stages of setting this thing up.  We are trying to get in contact with the University of Minnesota campus police and Minneapolis/St.Paul police to get a general acceptance of parkour which would be helpful if they knew what we were doing when we have 40 or 50 people running around the city.

As Mr. Spunk said, we are talking about a date but it's looking like June 12-14.  I would have liked it to be around it's normal time in July but due to some local scheduling conflicts it had to be earlier.  After all, I want all my boys at our own jam right?

More official new to come, I'll start at post just for it when we get more.  Stay tuned!
MNPK - Covered in snow most of the year but the ground is always lava

Minnesota's first parkour and freerunning gym www.fightorflightacademy.com

Offline n3wt0parkour

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 10:06:28 AM »
There was a jam here in KC last may, I didn't make it (Darn sister with her dance recital.) But I was wondering if there is another planned, or being planned.

Offline Shamas

• Mr. Random
  • Mangabey
  • Look behind you
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 02:50:51 PM »
Can we get representatives of each hosting party to collaborate and contact the hosts of this forum to make a semi solid schedule/chart for the rest of us. It would be much easier if we could see a schedule made up (able to be edited because we know how planning goes-things change) that could better portray when/where/which jams are being held
Thank You
For your collective efforts and works. We all appreciate it.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
-Hunter S. Thompson
▌§▌
Now this is happening!
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,14576.180.html

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 05:31:14 PM »
Actually if everyone who is hosting a Jam that I haven't talked to yet could please E-mail me at Jesse.PKNY(at)gmail.com that would be peachy keen. I will be setting up a Google doc straightening out all the national jam dates/locations I've got so far and will try to keep it updated until they are go.
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through