Author Topic: fear  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Joe Blow

• Guenons
  • NVPK
    • View Profile
fear
« on: September 16, 2008, 06:52:17 PM »
well least week i tried to monkey to precision.....
that ended up bad, i knew i could make it but i undershot the monkey and messed up from there which caused wrist injury meaning i couldnt train for 3 days.  So now i am so afraid of precision jumps its not even funny.  I need help to get over that fear so ya could you guys help me out also i hurt my shins yesterday tryin to overcome a precision and not that worsened the fear XD

HELP

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
Re: fear
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 06:53:24 PM »
Make your own railings that are at ground level. Best way to practice with fear, haven't done it myself though but it's at ground level. Worst that can happen is you bail and roll ;D
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline Nick Kelly

• Mangabey
  • Parkour Horizons
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Horizons
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 07:37:25 PM »
Ah, this is one of my favorite topics in parkour. (...because its one that gives me so much trouble, and one that I have to work on so much!)

Just like anything, you have to practice over coming fears. Eventually there will come a point when you have to put your trust in your ability to do something well, and then just do it.

Fear (in my experience) is your greatest enemy, and friend in parkour. Clearly, fear can be a power inhibitive emotion. A healthy level of fear, however, is necessary to safe practice. If you ignore your fear, you're likely to get seriously injured sooner or later. What you have to learn how to do is to listen to the fear, and learn from it. Anyone can ignore fear if they put their mind to it. The more difficult, and worthwhile challenge, is to be able to be aware of the feelings, but have complete assurance in your own abilities to the point that the fear no longer inhibits you. (Of course this is a million times more easier said than done, and is something that everyone can work on.)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 07:40:03 PM by Nick Kelly »

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 02:35:00 AM »
Try reading this.

Moving Through Fear

It is on the HIpk page, I know there is one here, I couldnt find ti though.
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Sweetytri

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 04:36:46 AM »
This was  a great article, thank you for sharing it!
~trying to learn the unforced rhythm of grace

Offline Tai

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 06:53:48 AM »
That is a great writing. Check out trick naght hans "no death, no fear" as well to learn more. It is really good that you are recognizing your fear, fear will be what guides your descisions as you proggress to moving more quickly and smoothly through your enviorment. I personally use pakour as a form of meditation. Meditation is about learning oneself and one true abilities and intention. Fear should be something you shape to suite your abilities and skills. Don' t force yourself to overcome fear just because you know you can do somthing physically, that is disrespectful of you fear, always respect what you are feeling. I hope this helps.

Offline SkyNative

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 09:14:41 AM »
The precision trainer is a really good option. Also you could teach yourself how to recover out of shorted and overshot precisions. Ex: Too far-tap one foot and step over, Too Short-Catch both feet on edge and bounce backwards, Way Too Short-Crane with one foot, or catch the edge with one foot to stop yourself keeping the other on the ground.

This may also help: http://www.americanparkour.com/content/view/2509/317/