Author Topic: Parkour while wearing glasses?  (Read 2546 times)

Offline Chris Kessler

• Mangabey
  • iJump
    • View Profile
Parkour while wearing glasses?
« on: September 15, 2008, 06:17:14 PM »
Anyone have suggestions on how to do parkour while wearing glasses? I've just tried a bit of night training, and I just can't see without them. In the day it's fine, but with the darkness it adds another level of difficulty and just plain danger. I've seen one of the UF boys do it, Kie, but he was wearing a hat of some sort. Any ideas guys?!
"We don't stop playing because we grow up. We grow up because we stop playing."
-Tim "Livewire" Shieff

Offline Holland Wilson

• Mangabey
  • Formerly known as the Damned Scholar.
    • View Profile
Re: Parkour while wearing glasses?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 06:26:38 PM »
There are cords for glasses that keep them on better, and there are sports goggles with prescription lenses. Either option will do just fine for parkour. If you don't have the money, I'd recommend tying an elastic cord to either arm and pulling that around to the backside of your head. A beanie could also help, though I wouldn't want to rely on it alone.
"At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since." - Salvador Dali

Offline Ron

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 06:47:25 PM »
I can't vouch for some more advanced techniques, but mine fit well and have never fallen off while rolling or jumping. And personally I cannot go anywhere without them, I'm so blind the big E on the chart is blurry.

Offline Chris Kessler

• Mangabey
  • iJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 06:56:40 PM »
Well, the only thing I've ever done while wearing glasses is, and this was just random not out training or anything, was a palmspin and they flew off!! I'm near sighted, so I can see up close fine. Its just sometimes that little bit of blurryness on the landing throws me off when i dont wear glasses.
"We don't stop playing because we grow up. We grow up because we stop playing."
-Tim "Livewire" Shieff

Offline Patrick Yang

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Outrunner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 10:19:14 PM »
Never had any problem with my glasses falling off, but I haven't done many of the more free running type moves.  If you have money to throw around, you might try out Spokiz.  They can modify glasses to have an adjustable cord that attach directly to the part of the frame that holds the lens.  Some guys in the TXPK scene have checked their sunglasses, and they on through flips and whatnot.  The only problem is that this pair of glasses is irreversibly changed to such a design.

Or maybe just get your frames adjusted so it's a snugger fit.
Training log.
Train hard, eat smart, and act with honor.

Offline Graham Hughes

• Hirundo Rustica
  • FLPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 06:43:42 AM »
I usually wear contacts when training, but I've worn glasses a lot too and I've still never had them fall off doing parkour.  The only problems I've had are sweat falling onto the lenses and, when doing big movements, the glasses can sometimes bounce.  Both of which mess with your vision a little bit.  There's really nothing you can do about the sweat thing except clean them frequently, but to avoid bouncing issues I make a point not to do too many long jumps/palmspins/whatever while wearing glasses.

It can certainly be unnerving doing parkour in glasses, but so far I haven't seen any significant reason NOT to train in them.  Just be careful, like always.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 04:25:51 PM »
Luckily my vision is good enough to do parkour without my glasses.  Get contacts and where a headband to keep the sweat from going in your eyes.  Funny thing...  I did a reverse vault once and my glasses flew off lol.  I didn't realize I had them on.

Offline Tony - Shinobi TXPK/EPPK

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • El Paso Parkour
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 06:02:29 PM »
One word home slice!  CROAKIES!!!
http://www.croakies.com/eyewear/croakies/croakies.html

I love the sh*t outta them and won't train without them (already scratched up my glasses on pavement).  They keep your glasses exactly where you need them with absolutely no slipping (just make sure you get the bands, not the cords, otherwise your glasses will still fall off and hang around your neck).

I recommend buying a couple of them.  Keep one in your car, one at home, just in case you forget them when you are going out training.  You can usually find them at Walmart in the prescription glasses section or at sporting goods stores. 

Some of my guys have also gotten them and have absolutely no complaints.  Let me know how they work out for you!

Tony
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 06:32:48 PM by ShinobiFoF »
Check on the rep, yep, second to none!