Author Topic: Toronto Parkour Gym  (Read 4040 times)

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
Toronto Parkour Gym
« on: September 10, 2008, 10:04:43 AM »
I don't know if this is old news or not but anyway...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BCm5g4eC4I

Apparently PkDanno and the other Toronto guys are working on a new indoor parkour training facility.  Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't they huge critics of Mark opening up a gym, and not because of who was opening it but because they didn't like the idea.  If I'm not wrong that is pretty lame.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
Re: Toronto Parkour Gym
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 10:24:04 AM »
Gym's been open for two months, now.

I can't speak for the rest of Toronto, I know for a fact that Dan never criticized the idea of a gym as a whole.  He's been planning on opening a gym for years and when Mark opened Primal, he didn't criticize it for the sake of being a gym.  Primal's opening week, I remember Dan telling me, "When I open a gym, I'm going to do it right."  That's all.  It had to do with format, not the idea of a gym itself.

And LOL at that video.

<- girls' meet

Looking for the good pic.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 02:14:46 PM by Animus »
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline bigninjapimp

• Hirundo Rustica
  • BNP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 11:12:44 AM »
Yeah I spoke to danno last night and he said its opening this weekend and a site will be up with more info.
Also please don't bring stupid politics into this Sat, just be happy that there is now another gym out there that will bring more people into parkour.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 11:55:13 AM »
Opening this weekend?  It's been open for quite awhile, now.  Weird that he said that.  The site just isn't up yet.

And the gym itself isn't quite finished.  The back wall is going to have a rock climbing wall.  And there's this neat little metal rail thing smack-dab in the gymnastics flooring.

Primal and the Toronto "Unit" both bring different things to the table, with markedly different approaches and styles.  That's all there is to it.  Both are doing positive work and should be supported.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 01:09:55 PM »
Agreed. I like the fact that more gyms are popping up, despite any bias I have. Like animus said, each brings POSITIVE aspects to the table, and also gives parkour a more 'official' standing in people's minds, instead of having people think 'this is just one of those dangerous fads that only exists on the streets.'

I personally wasnt aware of the gym, looks good! But whats the foam pit for? Ive only ever seen those used to work on flips and huge moves, and cant really think of a use for anything more than a thick crash mat in parkour. Are they teaching freerunning techs in the gym too? Sorry, It just seems like a foam pit costs a lot to put in, im very interested in finding out what they are using it for!

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 02:02:50 PM »
I personally wasnt aware of the gym, looks good! But whats the foam pit for? Ive only ever seen those used to work on flips and huge moves, and cant really think of a use for anything more than a thick crash mat in parkour. Are they teaching freerunning techs in the gym too? Sorry, It just seems like a foam pit costs a lot to put in, im very interested in finding out what they are using it for!

Duh.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 02:37:41 AM »
Right, theres a lot you can do into a foam pit, I can see how a thick mat would be useful under that railing, at least then you can train that big drop with a roll. I guess it could help with getting over the fear of the large drops, but again, it just seems like the foam pit is an expensive addition for parkour techs only (unless they are training a bunch of flips into it, completely different story if thats the case).

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 04:26:19 AM »
We dug out the pit ourselves, with some fun results and some of the most intense labour that these kids've ever seen (ever try to break up concrete and carry huge chunks of it any distance before?  I used to do it for work, but..).  There is no real "teaching" of tricking, although it isn't frowned upon if you want to do it.  The only thing that is frowned upon, to my knowledge, is hanging out in the lounge/bedroom area (where the photo is being taken.. an upstairs area for people to hang out/sleep over if they're out-of-towners) and playing the PS3 all day.

The foam pit was put it in, indeed, to help facilitate some tricks, as well as a conditioning tool.  Something Dan likes to do is throw a bunch of people in there and ask them to do broad jumps.  Broad jumping across it is also a good way to learn distance jumping on "ground level" while still having the mentality that a gap exists.

Single foam pieces are also occasionally taken out of the pit as focal points for neurological/CNS training.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 04:29:50 AM »

Single foam pieces are also occasionally taken out of the pit as focal points for neurological/CNS training.

What do you mean?

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 05:13:23 AM »
That looks great, congrats Danno!!

Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 05:27:17 AM »
We dug out the pit ourselves, with some fun results and some of the most intense labour that these kids've ever seen (ever try to break up concrete and carry huge chunks of it any distance before?  I used to do it for work, but..).  There is no real "teaching" of tricking, although it isn't frowned upon if you want to do it.  The only thing that is frowned upon, to my knowledge, is hanging out in the lounge/bedroom area (where the photo is being taken.. an upstairs area for people to hang out/sleep over if they're out-of-towners) and playing the PS3 all day.

The foam pit was put it in, indeed, to help facilitate some tricks, as well as a conditioning tool.  Something Dan likes to do is throw a bunch of people in there and ask them to do broad jumps.  Broad jumping across it is also a good way to learn distance jumping on "ground level" while still having the mentality that a gap exists.

Makes a little more sense, I was under the impression that tricking was incredibly frowned upon to danno, so why make such an effort in labor and space to keep it a part of the training regime. But I see I was wrong, thanks for clearing it up for  me! And best of luck danno! Looks like an awesome place :)

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 06:56:32 AM »
What do you mean?

REALLY hard to explain...  I'll show you at a say.. Thanksgiving jam..?  Assuming you're back in town.

And Skip, Dan was a tricker/XMA guy before he started Parkour, so he doesn't have anything against it.  Just thinks it should be distinct from Parkour.  During free time/playing around at indoor gyms, he'll mostly be doing tricks/flipping if he's not conditioning.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Dan Iaboni

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 11:07:51 AM »
If I'm not wrong

You're wrong.
But I won't  hold it against you. ;)

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 12:59:57 PM »
Well than i stand corrected

Offline Holland Wilson

• Mangabey
  • Formerly known as the Damned Scholar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 12:01:53 AM »
I want to dive into that foam pit.
"At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since." - Salvador Dali