Author Topic: Solo Training  (Read 6362 times)

Offline .Nico

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Solo Training
« on: March 23, 2006, 12:55:53 PM »
I just finished watching jump britain, courtesy of the manilla gorilla. Sebastien foucan was pretty much the centerpiece of that movie, and it was interesting hearing what he had to say. One of his philosophies was that he trained alone. Period. In his mind, training with a friend presents a big problem. Namely, that you will try things which you would not try alone, and this can be very dangerous. This is not the normal kind of peer pressure - "oh no, i want my friend to think i am cool so i will do this jump." it is a more competitive kind of peer pressure - "he did this, so why the f*ck shouldnt i give it a go? he is no better than i am!"

Seb also says that if you train alone, it is much more difficult to progress at first. Although it is much safer, you have nothing to push you and make you combat your fears. Since you are alone, your fears about a certain movement will be bigger. If you train alone long enough, you will get to know what triggers your fear, and when to take it seriously. You will better understand your abilities, and know the difference between when your mind is playing tricks on you and when something is truly dangerous.

Watching jump britain, seb seemed to be much more conscious of his mind and body than any of the others. Some times he would simply not try something because he didnt believe his body could do it, while all the other guys were going crazy and hurting themselves (for example the railflip to catleap in the gym). Other times, he would go ahead and do a massive 360 catleap, without even thinking about it. I wonder how much of this awareness can be attributed to his huge amount of experience, or whether it is in the way he trains. Does training alone really give that much of an advantage?

My theory is that for the first couple years or so, you need to constantly be coached, and told/shown whether you are doing certain movements right. Only once you have mastered the majority of the movements is it an advantage to train alone.

Right now i sometimes train alone, and sometimes with friends - pretty much any day i have time and dont feel sore from a previous workout. Should i try training alone more, or is Seb just a crazy frenchman?

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
Re: Solo Training
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 01:30:53 PM »
I see his point.  It's also more of a meditative thing to train alone, too.  But at the same time, you should know that you're doing things correctly.  Though, not everyone has the advantage of having practiced traceurs around them.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 02:14:28 PM »
I trained almost solely alone for the first 6 months I did parkour. Then for the next year or so, I was usually alone. Now the majority of my training is with one buddy (during college) but I still train alone a lot, especially during breaks from school.

I am more focused when I train alone and the accomplishment of something new is more satisfying. I have a better understanding of a technique when I learn it on my own. Overall I think you learn things more comprehensively and progress faster when you are alone.

I think its kindve sad when people wont do parkour just because they dont have anyone to do with. They are missing out.

However, I will admit that training with other people has some benefits as well.

Offline The Fallen

• Patas
  • We ain't got no meatballs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 03:24:16 PM »
I trained alone for about 5 months before i attended a little get together. I usually try to train alone but i if i get the oppurtinity to hang out with ma good buddy RPG then i take the chance too! But when im at my house i tend to be more focused.

The good thing about training with friends is you get to be more tempted. It may give you that little push you need to try something that is a bit of a mindf**k. But if you really think you could get hurt. Then i would definatley step down. Ive done it many times. And soon after i go back and hit the same spot and land it.

So word up. Confidence in groups. Determination by one!

Im out. Gotta finish setting up my hay bales. Country PK!
Animals should not try to act like Humans, But if i want to act like a dolphin who's gonna F%$^&ing stop me?

Offline .Nico

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 03:59:54 PM »
Yeah. Both solo and groups have their advantages, but solo is more meditative. Youre right, i do feel bad for the people who feel unable to train without a buddy. Their progress is entirely dependent on someone else. For instance, i have a friend who is really into parkour, but i have never seen him training without a friend. I dont know what he will do when his friends go off to college. Hopefully find some new buddies lol.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 06:32:21 PM »
I -am- one of those people who needs someone else, but I only need to see them even once a month for me to get the proper motivation.  It's just a competitive thing, really.  And I know it shouldn't be, but it's always been that way.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Ando

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • CHICAGO PARKOUR AERO
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 12:38:18 PM »
Unfortunately, I've rarely done this.  Today seems like a good day for it though, I'll post back later.

Offline The Manilla Gorilla

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 06:16:15 PM »
Although one of the great benifits for training with someone is that it gives you a second point of view, on wherever you are, you may not even think of doing somthing, untill someone else does.

I think alot of people have that problem when they are first starting out, its hard because they are not very good, and all they have as a refrence are belle vidoes. which makes it difficlult to keep the motivation going, because alot of people want all the skills with none of the work. So they quickly drop out.

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 05:42:44 PM »
i enjoy both.  training alone is good, but personally i find it harder to push myself if im alone.  peer pressure helps sometimes :P  i like training with others because you can get feedback on your movements, and help, as well as having others find new lines to take etc.  generally i only go alone if theres something specific that i want to try over and over and nail, and not have others be bored waiting for me...
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Baounit

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 04:41:45 PM »
I enjoy training solo and with friends. Whenever I train solo, I'm basically enforcing what I can do so far. I usually don't push myself to limits and I do very little. When I'm with a friend, I push myself harder, to push myself and to show off. Also, it's benefiecial to have a friend just in case you get hurt. They can also watch you and tell you what you're messing up or if you could do better.

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Flippusmn??? ask me then!
    • View Profile
    • http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHParkour/
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 07:50:15 PM »
I agree with Seb for the most part because I train alone most of the time because not many people in my area like Parkour because of the lack of obsticles etc. Every time I do train with a conpanion I seem to say have more fun, usually learn more, and find more obsticles because of multiple minds. Training alone might be the reason that I am not the best traceur in my opinion but I'm fine with that because I say that I did it and what I have done in the past is what I felt to do, I was more free.
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline Kiba

• Guenons
  • A jack of all trades, a master of none.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 05:25:49 PM »
Really I only train with friends. Usually I train every day after school, I go down to the park and run a bit or do Parkour untill 3:30, or I'll play basketball. I think training alone wouldn't be as fun because you usually have conversations with the people you're training with rather than being silent training alone. And I also agree with most of the other members here that you can get a different point of view and more ideas with a partner. Sometimes I'll have my partner video tape what I'm doing to see where I should speed up, slow down and adjust my movements. Mind you I've only been doing Parkour for a few weeks and my first decent training session was today. >_>
Nyah...

psycosis12

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 11:33:36 AM »
well i see training alone is pretty boring, with a friend you will be interested and trying those new things might be dangerous but it can also be benificail, like when me and jonny boy trained for a little while before stereo showed up i did a dash vault which i was trying to do for a while (it was just the mental block) and then i just did it because i seen him do it and i felt "inspired" to do it............so all the time isn't bad to train with a friend........

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 08:56:44 PM »
Can I agree with every one?
    OK I am completely self toughed the only ppl I have to ask about moves are you guys.  I am one of the best in the area and have the most experience.  In other words I started out alone till recently.
    I was on an off and on depression when I found parkour.  I started doing it every night for an hour or two.  I was great mediation for me.  I progressed extremely fast with my vaults.  It was completely internal.  Now I find myself progressing less and knowing my selfless.

I should train alone for one day a week.  Keep in mind I just trained five days in a row with two to three ppl.
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline Josh Klute

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "Live outside the box"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 08:31:25 PM »
Well I have a lot of trouble solo training.  Not so much because I don't want to, it just seems like I'm always around friends.  I am almost always constantly practicing though.  I'm one of those people that can't stay still too long, or I will cramp up and ugh............pain :P

I would love to trian alone sometime, if I can ever find the time.  It sounds like it is really a great thing to do.  Plus with all of the social interaction that I have I could use some "self-time". 

I think there are a few perks either way you go.  With others, or alone.  With other people you are encouraged to try new things, push yourself, but of course the knowledge of boundries is entirely up to you.  It can be very difficult to hold yourself back when you are being pressured to do something, when you are alone you are free to do whatever you want, inside of your comfort zone.  I do like the knowledge of safety when I am in groups, if you somehow do get hurt you have people to help you out.  I highly recommend that even if you do train alone, do it in a place with at least a few others around. 

Safety safety safety

“All around you people will be tip-toeing through life, just to arrive at death safely.  But dear children, do not tiptoe.  Run, hop, skip, or dance, just don’t tiptoe.”

Offline The Manilla Gorilla

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2006, 09:04:09 PM »
Although words can't describe that feeling after going out by yourself, and its just quite, it gives you time to reflect, and not get caught up with politics, or the understanding of the purity of parkour. You can just figure out what it is that YOU can do, and you get a sense of your own inner drive. Or the feeling of adreniline, when you have climbed higher then you ever have before. Your sweating, and your breathing hard, your in dis belief and the only thing that keeps you climbing, is yourself, not your friends cheering you on (not that thats a bad thing) but at some point you have to do things by yourself.

Offline TJ jay White

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2006, 09:38:58 AM »
I trained almost solely alone for the first 6 months I did parkour. Then for the next year or so, I was usually alone. Now the majority of my training is with one buddy (during college) but I still train alone a lot, especially during breaks from school.

I am more focused when I train alone and the accomplishment of something new is more satisfying. I have a better understanding of a technique when I learn it on my own. Overall I think you learn things more comprehensively and progress faster when you are alone.

I think its kindve sad when people wont do parkour just because they dont have anyone to do with. They are missing out.

However, I will admit that training with other people has some benefits as well.

i started parkouring about three months ago with two of my buddys and so I rarley ever practice by myself, but I love having them there to help because they are a lil better then me

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2006, 08:45:13 PM »
I highly recamend training alone just have a phone or something.... as a lot of Pol have said on here, you get to reflect and the feeling of self achievement is amazing.
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline Cyro

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace (Where I keep myself accountable)
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2006, 07:10:27 AM »
As someone who is JUST starting out, I'd like to say that, I want to find someone to train with. I want to see what I'm not percieving and get some instant feedback on what I should do to progress.

Also, I'm honestly a little wierded out at the thought that I am a complete newbie and if I screw up in a public place without anyone else who is there doing the same thing as me, I'll really look stupid. It's a bit of a social/mental block, but eh. Hard to get going in, say, the middle of campus.

Now, I'll get back to you in a couple months about going solo.

Offline Unique

• Mangabey
  • D'Ondrai Jones
    • View Profile
    • youtube
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2006, 09:51:35 AM »
I guess I see your point if your team is like that but you should pick team that will TELL you your limits not push you TOO hard. I think it's ok to have friends with you that have the right balance of limitations but will try new things.

*but training alone you are more serous and focas then with other people.
- “Don't wait for life to beat you. Move life to your own beat.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqXiSaVGnLI