Author Topic: A to B  (Read 9051 times)

Offline .Nico

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
A to B
« on: March 19, 2006, 01:05:48 PM »
I know that Parkour is an ever-changing word, with new people constantly coming up with new definitions for it. PAWA is trying to become the authority on the word, and we are constantly telling the less experienced guys what the difference is between parkour and freerunning. A definition i have heard which has been accepted by most is that Parkour is moving from A to B, quickly, efficiently (And silently, in my opinion). I have also heard that parkour is not defined by the movement, but by the intention. This means that a gymnast can do a kong, but not be doing parkour. This also means that a traceur can be simply running, but can still be doing parkour.
My question is whether or not you always have to go from A to B. I understand that if you move in the mindset that you are chasing or being chased, you are quicker and more fluid, but sometimes for me there is no real destination. For instance, i can go on a long run and end up right where i began. Also, i could spend 3 or 4 minutes doing rail work in a certain area, not really going anywhere, but nonetheless being quick, efficient, and silent. Is this parkour too?

Kipup

Re: A to B
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 01:14:36 PM »
What you are talking about seems to be the distinction between doing actual Parkour, and training for Parkour.
To be doing Parkour, you technically need to be escaping from something/someone or trying to reach a certain destination. While what you seem to be talking about is training Parkour-like movements. In the situation you described, training - means practicing movements that could potentialy prove to be useful should you ever need to use Parkour.
Do you understand??

Other than that, your overall understanding of Parkour seems to be at a relatively high level.  ;D

- Also, a very well-written post.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 01:17:07 PM by Kipup »

Offline .Nico

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 01:25:51 PM »
Haha what happens when my understanding of parkour begins to surpass my skill level? I better stop reading and go play lol. Thanks for clearing that up kipUp, i understand now.

Offline button

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Traceur | Individual
    • View Profile
    • South Coast Parkour
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 01:28:23 PM »
A - B is a bad analogy, going from where you are to where you want to be communicates intent but doesn't define specific points.

You don't need to be chased by someone to be doing parkour, or trying to get somewhere specific. It's moving as if in an emergency situation, not moving in an emergency situation. ;)

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 01:31:19 PM »
Yeah, the only thing I would have to add is that PAWA IS the authority on the word, it was made by David Belle's friend, and therefore PAWA really does have the right to put the definition on it. Personally I feel there are other more in depth and more "accessible" descriptions, but the PAWA definition is THE Definition.

To add to Button's point, even if you WERE being chased, you might not have a set destination in mind aside from "Away", which could be in a circle. In a sense, Parkour itself is practice for the real situation, so practicing Parkour is practicing to practice :P
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 01:33:04 PM by M2 »
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Michael Zernow

• Captain Jetpack
  • Global Moderator
  • Patas
  • I believe in myself.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 09:00:35 PM »
There are no specific points in parkour, A to B is what parkour is, as quickly as possible making that straight line. To be able to move between the origin and the destination without being deterred or slowed by any obstacle in between would be the best parkour run. parkour hasn't changed there have just been new forms, aka freerunning which involves the moves inbetween and trading efficiency for aesthetic quality.

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 09:31:45 PM »
a to b doesnt have to be a straight line. in fact, it is extremely rare that it would be. also, if you are escaping, you dont know where B is until you get there. if the thing that is chasing you is faster, you may try to avoid it by going places it cannot and taking difficult routes that it cannot. parkour can be described as A to B, but A to B cannot be described as only a straight line.

Offline kaos

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • New England Parkour
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 05:40:25 AM »
@nico:  In your example you did go from a to b, its just that a=b.  Nothing wrong with that.
Parkour creates communities, not rivalries. Keep competition out of parkour.

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Flippusmn??? ask me then!
    • View Profile
    • http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHParkour/
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 08:10:36 AM »
Parkour itself is practice for the real situation, so practicing Parkour is practicing to practice

So basically it's like a cycle, you practice to get better and better at practicing. I love these things, make this into a famous M2 quote or something lol.

@nico:  In your example you did go from a to b, its just that a=b.  Nothing wrong with that.

That makes sense but in this case you would be getting nowhere because you are where you started so you could say you go from A to B but B is what you want, not a place, this is all a mindset and basically ideas of what to come rather than knowing what is to come and it actually being there.
So listen to what M2 said practice to practice, only for what you think your practicing for. In this case I think there could be no definition to Parkour because it isn't something exactlytly, a person, place, thing, or idea, even though it comes close to an idea it still is what you want to do when you do it, it's not already there to do.  :)
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline kaos

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • New England Parkour
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 08:17:42 AM »
B is what you want

I like that.  B=escape, rescue, survival etc. 
Parkour creates communities, not rivalries. Keep competition out of parkour.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 08:37:51 AM »
B is my refrigerator

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 10:19:59 AM »
haha. skipper, you get an applaude for that

Offline Asa Liebmann

• New Jersey
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • NYParkour
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 05:25:37 PM »
Parkour is about getting from A (where you are currently) to B (Skipper's Refrigerator).

For those of us in New Jersey, it's not Parkour unless it's southward.

Honestly, I think the "A to B" explanation is just a tool to help people understand the Parkour way of thinking, that people have mis-interpreted as a definitive... definition. It followed the same course as the "chase-escape" example, the intention is to display the mindset, rather than than the actual path.

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 10:42:32 AM »
Just wanted to point out that gymnast do do "Kong"(I hate that name) vaults. There called squat vaults in gymnastics and there one of the basic begginer vaults. In the 1996 olympic the complusory vault was a hec vault which is a more difficult variation of the same movement were your body can not bend through the vault. If you can find some video of it is pretty amazing to see the distance the competeriors get.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Flippusmn??? ask me then!
    • View Profile
    • http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHParkour/
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 02:02:21 PM »
That is funny (skips refrigerator lol) but hopefully you know what I meant ::) I'm too stupid to think of how to explain it.
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline The Fallen

• Patas
  • We ain't got no meatballs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2006, 04:02:13 AM »
Its a little known fact that when moving from A to B. You are always moving south-east
Animals should not try to act like Humans, But if i want to act like a dolphin who's gonna F%$^&ing stop me?

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2006, 06:43:53 AM »
thats because i have a refrigerator in every state

Offline Ando

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • CHICAGO PARKOUR AERO
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2006, 11:42:49 AM »
I dont think Skip's refrigerator is a worthy destination.  When i was at his house I didnt even get anything from his fridge, all he gave me were Fritos. 

I personally don't like the A to B definition, I'm more comfortable of reaching a destination. Going somewhere no one else ever been before and getting there faster than the average person, cause with Parkour, you'll find the quick routes. 

Offline The Fallen

• Patas
  • We ain't got no meatballs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2006, 11:55:52 AM »
Yeah but keep in mind. With parkour. You get cheetos... ;D
Animals should not try to act like Humans, But if i want to act like a dolphin who's gonna F%$^&ing stop me?

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2006, 11:59:22 AM »
not at my house you dont!

asa, its not whats in the fridge that matters, its gettig to the fridge..

dont you know anything about parkour?