Author Topic: dive roll  (Read 12749 times)

Offline jmanndriver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
dive roll
« on: March 14, 2006, 04:40:07 PM »
this is a very cool trick to learn and eliminates vualts over objects that you can roll on the other side. i can jump up 4 feet and to the roll. you run at the object and dive over it with an arc. not a swimming pool ark, but a high arc so u dont hurt ur back. i recomend practicing with a pice of string tied up so it is high enough to dive over.
Parkour isn't a sport, it's a way of life...

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
Re: dive roll
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 04:52:12 PM »
this is a very cool trick to learn and eliminates vualts over objects that you can roll on the other side.

but why eliminate the vault? vaults are a lot faster than dive rolls. efficient uses of dive rolls arent very common, but it is a good thing to learn nonetheless.

Offline jmanndriver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 04:59:58 PM »
u use them over benches and fences in parks and they work good. they may be a little slower but they are still fun.

Offline Johnny Boy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • DCPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 05:16:15 PM »
iv found the only good use of dive rolls ids over bushes and such.. and if your gonna write a definition and all, you should put it in the lexicon (if its not already there)
life is too short, so love the one you got
-Sublime

Offline Gareth EE Field

• Mangabey
  • Aaayyooo!!!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 05:37:27 PM »
i've found a bunch of uses for dive rolls! 'anything where it would be hard to vault' includes a lot of things. bushes, fences with spikes on top, soft blocks in a gym, something that's moving, anything wet ... ummm ... also getting on top of things, like a set of stairs or whatever. they're also good because you don't need that much momentum to get decent distance on them, just throw yourself over that last obstacle if you need to ...
PK4LIFE!

psycosis12

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 02:52:22 AM »
i agree with jonny boy i would just dive roll over stuff where i can apply my body weight to, like bushes, spikes.....things on too much of an incline (like slides)............but i like the dive roll though..........

Offline Unique

• Mangabey
  • D'Ondrai Jones
    • View Profile
    • youtube
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 01:37:04 PM »
I really dont like to dive roll but I somtimes use it when my team is playing cops ond robbers. And i dive roll over this gate because my team doesnt know how and its fun getting away  while they climb over the gate.
- “Don't wait for life to beat you. Move life to your own beat.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqXiSaVGnLI

Offline The Manilla Gorilla

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 05:49:23 PM »
I/ve used whule im actually in a run, But if Im in a stagnent postion then,  might use iy... if the object is coated in glass... or im playing that crazy Links game in china town, lol.

Offline Berkut

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • All roads lead to Cat Fountain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 06:05:07 PM »
I'm quite fond of dive rolls personally, but I will have to say that the most efficent time to use them would be for bushes, branches, or hedges just as Johnny said. Basically any circumstance where a solid plant of the hand cannot be done is a reasonable area to do a dive-roll. However height limitations are an issue. I can't say what the best height would be to do it at, but I've found that any obstical more than about 3/4's of your body height has you land pretty roughly. The reason being that rather than having a wide arc from a lesser jump over a low obstical,the arc gets narrower because you're forced to jump higher, and in the recovery your hands will handle a fair amount of force.

But again I've found that when used appropriately, a well-executed dive roll is an excellent tool.

Offline tinnmann

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 10:10:42 PM »
I use dive rolls whenever I'm about to fall because after the roll its so easy to get back up after
another fun i do is whenever I'm running i just dive roll to stop

Offline Mike "Pyro" Araujo

• Mangabey
  • Pyro4pk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 11:50:57 PM »
Dive rolls are a nice way to get up a small set of steps. You could use them over a bush since it's most likely not strong enough to hold you for a vault. other than that if it's too low to vault just jump over it.

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
  • You lied to me. -Caboose
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2006, 05:41:05 PM »
I love that move I mastered it when I was like 10 in Judo. I could get over the length of 8 people side by side at the age of 10. The people on the end were always scared but i always cleared them it was fun.
There is no past, there is no future, there is only the present because that is all that matters.

A bad Traucer does a technique until he gets it right. A good Traucer does it until he can not get it wrong.-David Belle

Offline jmanndriver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 11:55:25 AM »
i still havent mastered it yet. i want to get better at it. some one should post a viideo on it or something. that would be nice.

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 06:35:03 PM »
you should post a video of your own dive roll and then we could more easily help you.

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 07:16:02 PM »
I have done them in a gym and over some coolers but never in a run.
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline Johnny Boy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • DCPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2006, 07:21:54 PM »
I rarely use dive rolls because anything I could safely dive roll over, I could also jump over which is faster and eliminates an awkward landing.
-Sublime

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2006, 11:41:41 PM »
ah, but what about dive roll through. there are situations where an underbar is impossible but a wel-aimed dive roll will do the trick.

as far as the height deal, i know someone who can pound step before a diveroll and clear something higher than his head. of course, this straight up motion brings him straight down on the other side, but he seems to come of out it alright.
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through

Offline Johnny Boy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • DCPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2006, 06:31:26 AM »
But then again, you can get more distance AND height off a dive roll sometimes.. more instance a couple weeks back I saw phsycosis do an enourmous dive roll over these like, 10 foot long and four feet tall bushes.
so yea i guess they can be pretty useful
-Sublime

psycosis12

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2006, 10:25:47 AM »
Quote from: pyro4pk
You could use them over a bush since it's most likely not strong enough to hold you for a vault.

well i know its more  than most likely im sure its a bush wont hold you for a vault, if you can find a bush that will hold you up, then i'll shut up..................... ;D

Offline urbanparkourdude

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Urban parkour
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2006, 06:24:50 AM »
Well I have to disagree I think that is brilliant for runs, Instead of going round bushes you can dive roll over them, I have tried this and it works when I was doing a run the only way to get to the other side is to do a dive roll, But I didn't read this thread before I did it. ::)

upk.proboards2.com