Author Topic: Awesome roll training technique!  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Tyler Morita

• Patas
    • View Profile
Awesome roll training technique!
« on: June 10, 2008, 08:03:35 PM »
So, I have no idea why I hadn't thought of this before this evening...

My dad holds a 3rd degree black belt in Shotokhan karate, and has practiced a smattering of other martial arts forms, including winning collegiate judo competitions.  When myself and my two younger brothers were growing up, we had karate lessons every other day, but never learned any of the more acrobatic movements.  We did, however, have dive roll practice during every lesson.  No wonder I've never felt any need to practice my pk rolls, and they've always felt smooth as butter....

What we'd do, is take a stick (we used a shinai, or bamboo practice sword, you could grab a broom), have one person hold it at about waist hight, and simply dive roll over it. Raise it an inch, rinse and repeat!  It's not that hard to work up surprisingly high!  Move to concrete for that added kick in the pants...

anyone thought of this before?

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: Awesome roll training technique!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 08:26:23 PM »
Interesting method. It's only logical. :)

It wouldn't be too hard to do without the other person. Just suspend the stick somehow. Like use two chairs, then add books to raise the height...

PS: Maybe the title could be changed to "Awesome Dive Roll Training Technique!" instead, as to avoid confusion... ::)
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Tyler Morita

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 09:39:57 PM »
yeah, if you wanted to be technical....though I think any dive roll practice directly translates to normal rolls..

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 09:46:04 PM »
Yea, but some new people may think this is for ground rolls.

Don't worry about it, though. Feel free to leave it how it is ;)
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Steve Zavitz

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 10:03:45 PM »
I've seen this kind of training before and have since been learning how to approach my rolls vertically.  I still have control issues and usually end up slamming my hip into the ground.  A great way to work into this type of roll is to start in a handstand position and then ease onto your shoulder.  Learning this technique has really helped with my normal rolls as well.  I'd strongly suggest it to anyone who wants to improve their rolls.

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 12:40:42 AM »
The problem is that in parkour, a roll is rarely downward, it usually carries much more forward momentum, so a dive roll isn't really the best. For beginners, anyway. But yes, back in my kung fu days we'd have dive roll competitions, who could jump over the belt the highest. It was fun, and it did help my rolls. But for a beginner, I don't think it's a smart progression. Maybe intermediate or advanced.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Tyler Morita

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 08:41:20 AM »
I've seen this kind of training before and have since been learning how to approach my rolls vertically.  I still have control issues and usually end up slamming my hip into the ground.  A great way to work into this type of roll is to start in a handstand position and then ease onto your shoulder.  Learning this technique has really helped with my normal rolls as well.  I'd strongly suggest it to anyone who wants to improve their rolls.

Slamming your hip into the ground can be caused by not rolling along the diagonal line across your back, or by not staying tucked and keeping your back rounded until you're up on your feet...And I practice rolls from a handstand as well, but only gymnastic rolls (straight down the back, between both shoulders)...do you drop one arm and roll diagonally from a handstand?  crazy...

And I agree with you Adam, in that a roll is generally forward, and a dive roll is downward.  However, I feel like practicing dive rolls is like a batter taking some practice swings with 3 or 4 bats.  When you go to normal rolls, they are that much easier!  Since starting to practice parkour, I've never drilled my normal rolls, just dive rolls, and I have complete confidence in my rolls from any hight.

I think that dive rolls are a smart progression for a beginner, though.  They will teach you control of forward momentum and the diving motion, how to catch your weight with your hands, how to guide your body to the ground with your hands, and how to tuck and roll and convert any downward momentum into forward momentum.  The only "non-beginner danger" factor I can see is diving and letting your arms go limp, so you crash the top of a shoulder onto the ground.

Here's an idea...in addition to practicing dive rolls over a suspended bar, how about doing dive rolls for distance?  use two sticks or markers, and clear 'em with your dive!

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 12:53:09 AM »
There's a difference between extra bats and dive rolls vs regular rolls. The technique for swinging extra bats and one bat is the same. The technique for dive rolls and forward rolls differs here and there. So, I wouldn't suggest it for muscle memory reasons. If you're gonna drill something, drill exactly what movement you plan on using.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Tyler Morita

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 09:19:59 AM »
Point taken Adam, and I agree with you.  Practice the movement you intend on performing.

That said, the ONLY roll training and practice I've had (outside of a few months of gymnastics...a different roll) has been dive rolls over a raised bamboo sword, every other day for several years while growing up.  I've never drilled anything but dive rolls.  I am also in complete control of all my rolls, experience zero pain at any point, and they're all buttery smooth.