Author Topic: Landing/Rolling on off-camber slopes?  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Paul Bischoff

• Patas
    • View Profile
Landing/Rolling on off-camber slopes?
« on: June 07, 2008, 10:11:43 AM »
after watching the advanced roll techniques vid on apk, i went out and tried it.  jumping from ~6 feet onto flat ground felt clean and smooth.  then i tried off my back deck onto some soft grass from ~8 feet.  the landing is slanted downhill from me.  when i landed, the slant threw everything off.  my knees slammed into the ground before i could recoil and my ankle tweaked.  i re-attempted it with the same results.

any advice for landing/rolling on off camber slopes?

if it helps, im 6'5'' (yah, really tall) and lean
I don't want to be a product of my environment.  I want my environment to be a product of me.

Offline guitarhero_zrock

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Landing/Rolling on off-camber slopes?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 10:15:09 AM »
when you land roll more over your sholder and it should go smoother and easier

Offline Paul Bischoff

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 10:29:05 AM »
rolling isnt the problem.  i have trouble landing on slanted ground in order to execute a proper roll.
I don't want to be a product of my environment.  I want my environment to be a product of me.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 01:06:53 PM »
I'm guessing you're leaning forward too much when you land, and maybe your legs aren't strong enough for that high of a jump.

Injuring yourself isn't a fast or efficient way to get better at parkour. It sure hasn't helped me :P The advanced roll video is for people who already have the basic roll down. I'll assume you've got a great basic roll. If not, check out Ozzi's landing and roll tutorials and the Team Ukemi roll tutorials.

Find something lower to jump from. Maybe start with standing and running long jumps from no height. You'll be able to work out the mechanics of the landing a little better. Figure out how you need to adjust for the slope, and how your running speed changes things.

Here's Ozzi's landing tutorial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXP5BxA7LvA&feature=related